Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on step 3 when syncing

Here it goes, I will provide as much information as possible.

I recently updated my PC to windows 10 the first day it was available, July 29th or something along those lines, I'm not sure if this is the root cause but its when I started having syncing problems with my iPod touch 5th gen. I have a gaming PC and am very picky with what I allow on my computer.

So, when I plug my iPod into the USB port it will pull up iTunes and begin to sync, steps 1 and 2 are fine. However, once I get to step 3 the progress line moves very slow then gets stuck at the end after about a minute or two. It gets unstuck and decides to "copy artwork", there after it starts this process it will freeze completely. Once it freezes it actually causes my whole computer to act weird. My computer will then automatically disconnect iPod and reconnect. It then just goes thru this cycle over and over and over again. Because it does this I am unable to load new music.

How I can resolve this problem?

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 12:42 AM

To anyone reading this I found a resolution to fix this after 6 hours of trying. Compliments to OSXDaily.

1. Update the iOS device to the latest version (Settings > General > Software Update)
  2. Update iTunes to the latest version (either through Updates in the App Store, or the iTunes app itself) then relaunch iTunes
  3. Connect the iOS device to the computer with a USB cable (yes, even if you use wi-fi sync)
  4. Select the device within iTunes, uncheck Wi-Fi syncing and check “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically”, then click Apply
  5. Quit iTunes, disconnect the iOS device from the computer, and restart the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  6. Relaunch iTunes and reconnect the iOS device to the computer with USB again
  7. Select the iOS device within iTunes again, and re-enable Wi-Fi syncing, then click “Apply” again
  8. Attempt to sync your media with the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch as usual – syncing should work and no longer get stuck on a step or freeze up

Totally fixed my problem.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2015 12:42 AM in response to Laxman2014

To anyone reading this I found a resolution to fix this after 6 hours of trying. Compliments to OSXDaily.

1. Update the iOS device to the latest version (Settings > General > Software Update)
  2. Update iTunes to the latest version (either through Updates in the App Store, or the iTunes app itself) then relaunch iTunes
  3. Connect the iOS device to the computer with a USB cable (yes, even if you use wi-fi sync)
  4. Select the device within iTunes, uncheck Wi-Fi syncing and check “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically”, then click Apply
  5. Quit iTunes, disconnect the iOS device from the computer, and restart the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  6. Relaunch iTunes and reconnect the iOS device to the computer with USB again
  7. Select the iOS device within iTunes again, and re-enable Wi-Fi syncing, then click “Apply” again
  8. Attempt to sync your media with the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch as usual – syncing should work and no longer get stuck on a step or freeze up

Totally fixed my problem.

Stuck on step 3 when syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.