Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update to bootcamp 6?

I have no available updates from the app store, yet my version of bootcamp is still Version 5.1.4 (500). This is an issue because I am trying to upgrade to windows 10 which requires the latest version of bootcamp, which is bootcamp 6. I am wondering if anyone has a solution to this issue.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 8:12 PM

18 replies

Aug 31, 2015 8:28 PM in response to sclark145

How can I know if I have BootCamp 6 or older? (I can see it has been ''updated'' on August 28 at 8:34 PM, (I'd suspect through some OSX update - to 10.10.5 ??....), but can't see the version...

I was told weeks ago to wait for new bootcamp drivers before upgrading Windows 8.1 to Win 10... but wonder if I can do it now. Based on this article, it looks like simple matter of (starting with) doing OSX update :Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

Thanks,
Rob

Aug 31, 2015 9:11 PM in response to lanstrad1

Same problem; I'm on Boot Camp 5, and no updates are available for 6.

By the way, you can see what version of Bootcamp you have by running the Boot Camp Assistant, located under Applications -> Utilities. Then select About Boot Camp from the menu.

I did update to Windows 10, because I had read somewhere that you couldn't update to Boot Camp 6 until you had Windows 10; so I did it...and now I just have black screens in Windows 10.

Mac Pro late 2013.

Aug 31, 2015 10:17 PM in response to Biller83

Ok, I made some progress:

- I ran Boot Camp Assistant in Mac OSX, and actually clicked Next to see what it would do.

- I selected Download Latest Support Software (and only that checkbox), and saved to a USB thumb drive formatted to FAT-32.

- This apparently downloaded Boot Camp 6 to the thumb drive

- I booted into Windows and after a few tries got one of my monitors to come up

- I installed the software on the thumb drive, which did indeed update my Boot Camp to 6 on Windows.

- Windows 10 is now behaving better; still some glitches, but my monitors show up at least.

Hope this helps!

Sep 2, 2015 6:47 PM in response to Loner T

An update on this:

- My Windows 10 installation turned out to be very problematic; a number of apps simply would not run correctly.

- I tried to use Bootcamp to uninstall Windows, to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade, but it would not uninstall it.

- I made the mistake of using Disk Utility to delete my Bootcamp partition manually, then found that Disk Utility could not resize my main partition back to the full disk capacity, even though the docs say it should be able to do so. Bootcamp would not install a new version of Windows unless the main partition takes up the whole disk, so I could not re-install Windows at all.

- Bottom line, I ended up completely re-installing my whole MacOSX system, then re-ran Bootcamp & installed Windows 10 from scratch.

- It seems to be behaving well now. But it took many hours of work.

FYI, the way to get an ISO of Windows 10 is here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Sep 2, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Biller83

An upgrade from W7/W8+ to W10 is problematic for many, due to the driver requirements which are significantly different between W7/W8+ and W10.

If W10 is upgraded, Apple has tried to 'merge' the previous Windows drivers with BC6 (W10) drivers. This procedures does not seem to work well and has many bugs in it. The Upgrade, however, has the advantage that the W10 activation (with it's embedded retail key assigned during reservation process), does not require a separate activation.

What I have done in all my cases, is to upgrade and get a broken W10. Remove it, and then do a clean install, since the M$ servers have registered my W10 retail key during the Upgrade. I can do this as many times on the same hardware I want without nay issues. The clean install removes all W7/W8 drivers and gives me a clean set of BC6 drivers without the 'merge' being necessary or required. The drivers behave much better.

If BCA is unable to remove W10 after the upgrade, I can remove traces of W10 using low level diskutil commands, if necessary.

Sep 2, 2015 8:47 PM in response to Loner T

Ok... Finally upgraded to Windows 10.

My USB key (as per Loner T instructions) now show :6.0.6133

After Win 10 upgrade, I booted into Windows, made the Apple Software Update - which indeed pointed to BootCamp 6 and installed it (at least under Windows...)

However, back to Mac OSX, if I go to Utilities and look for what is installed, I still see 5.x.xx ... ?

Do I need to do anything else under OSX ? - Even if I tried App and Update, never was presented with offer to update BootCamp. Just under Windows.

Am I correct ?

So far, Windows 10 ''seems to'' be working correctly - I get sound, connexions, Word and Access opened perfectly, I can surf the web, .. I'll keep experimenting.

But any more insights about the above ?

Thanks,
Rob

Sep 3, 2015 5:17 AM in response to Biller83

Biller83 wrote:

My OSX Bootcamp version was also 5, but my Windows version is now 6. Like you, I never got any option to upgrade my Mac's Bootcamp.

Seems to be ok though. I assume they are separate applications, versioned separately, although that is odd.

The BC Assistant and BC Drivers are now independent entities, almost. 😉

Sep 3, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

An upgrade from W7/W8+ to W10 is problematic for many, due to the driver requirements which are significantly different between W7/W8+ and W10.

If W10 is upgraded, Apple has tried to 'merge' the previous Windows drivers with BC6 (W10) drivers. This procedures does not seem to work well and has many bugs in it. The Upgrade, however, has the advantage that the W10 activation (with it's embedded retail key assigned during reservation process), does not require a separate activation.

What I have done in all my cases, is to upgrade and get a broken W10. Remove it, and then do a clean install, since the M$ servers have registered my W10 retail key during the Upgrade. I can do this as many times on the same hardware I want without nay issues. The clean install removes all W7/W8 drivers and gives me a clean set of BC6 drivers without the 'merge' being necessary or required. The drivers behave much better.

If BCA is unable to remove W10 after the upgrade, I can remove traces of W10 using low level diskutil commands, if necessary.

Excellent write up! Thanks!

Sep 3, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Biller83

How in the world you got that option? I can just get "Restore Disk to a Single Volume". I have 6.0 on OS X but I need drivers for Widows since I i chose to erase all 3rd party software when I upgraded to final build.

5.1.5640 is latest version available externally. I can't get that is so hard for Apple to provide 6.0 drivers for download or at least allow to download them through Boot Camp Assistant If you already have Windows on another partition.

Will try to install 5.1... drivers. Will see would they update to 6.0.

Sep 3, 2015 2:15 PM in response to Vladimir Krstic

See Biller83 above :

''

Ok, I made some progress:

- I ran Boot Camp Assistant in Mac OSX, and actually clicked Next to see what it would do.

- I selected Download Latest Support Software (and only that checkbox), and saved to a USB thumb drive formatted to FAT-32.

- This apparently downloaded Boot Camp 6 to the thumb drive

- I booted into Windows and after a few tries got one of my monitors to come up

- I installed the software on the thumb drive, which did indeed update my Boot Camp to 6 on Windows.

- Windows 10 is now behaving better; still some glitches, but my monitors show up at least.

Hope this helps ''

Cannot update to bootcamp 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.