Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari - Why use it ???

Whats the point of using Safari when a good 60% of the time it gets infected with pop up ads and ad injections?? Now I have to back out and spend the time to clear all that out. Why use it if Apple can't fix the problem. I never, let me repeat that NEVER, one more time, N E V E R have this problem with FireFox, ever. I can visit the same sites that cause Safari to go haywire with FireFox and have no problem. I get tired of the lady drone on about how my computer is now seriously infected and to call the number on my screen. Done with this useless browser.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 6:33 PM

7 replies

Aug 31, 2015 6:42 PM in response to Echidna's Arf

I've never, I repeat, N.E.V.E.R had any issues with pops in Safari at all.

But then again, I don't go clicking on everything I see, nor have I installed any thing that may cause popup ads in Safari.

The only reason you are getting popups in Safari, is because you yourself are doing something to get this adware installed on it. You may be unaware you are doing it, but its definitely happening.

Try running, Etrecheck, and we may be able to help you get rid of them.

Using EtreCheck

Aug 31, 2015 8:39 PM in response to Phil0124

I just learned I may be calling these things by the wrong name. What I'm getting are the Tech Support pop-up scams. Got a couple links on a different thread about them. Possibly the Ghostery extension might help as I run that in FireFox, IDK. I'm fairly disciplined and don't go clicking on things willy nilly and know enough about being redirected to get out quick when it happens. I was saying in the other thread that I'm not trying to bad mouth Safari and sometimes find it preferable to use on certain sites but the pup-up scams have made me shy away from using Safari all the time.

Aug 31, 2015 8:44 PM in response to Echidna's Arf

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to browsers. Many people use Safari and like it better than any other browser that they can run on their Mac. Personally, I prefer Firefox, and only open Safari when I'm trying to answer a support question on this forum.

If I could use Firefox on my work computer I would use it there too (I really hate using IE). Again, personally, I think that since that is Mozilla's primary discipline, they do it best.

Cheers,

GB

Sep 1, 2015 4:21 AM in response to Echidna's Arf

You more than likely have adware on your computer that is causing the pop-ups and redirections to infect the Safari browser. The browser is not useless, and there's nothing wrong with it. I used to use Firefox, but it's such a resource hog on a Mac, that I use Safari exclusively now and find my laptop doesn't run hot anymore when just trying to watch a simple 3 minute video on YouTube. There are a couple extensions for Firefox that I miss not having in Safari, but it's not the end of the world.

To get rid of the adware causing Safari to go haywire, Force Quit the browser, then open it again while holding down the Shift key. Go to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac and download it. Install it, then run it. If there's any adware to be found, it'll find it and get rid of it. Then go into your Preferences and click over to the Extensions tab — eliminate any you don't remember installing or don't remember what they do. It goes without saying that you should already have Adblock or Adblock Plus installed. Once this is done, quit the browser, then open it normally. You should have no further issues.

Safari - Why use it ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.