Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rtyuio keys not working on macbook pro retina

Hey.

The title says it all.

I've been struggling with this issue. The keys rtyuio barely function. Sometimes they do but mostly they dont. I've used CCleaner, I have cleaned and swiped my mac with antivirus. Ive searched the internet for a solution but I cant find one. I dont understand what seems to be the problem. Without this keys its almost useless having a computer. I use it kostly for work and it cant stay like this. The warranty has already expired and I dont know what to do.

Help please?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 6:25 PM

1 reply

Aug 31, 2015 7:34 PM in response to IrreverentAngel

When keys in a row or keys close together or keys in an approximate column stop working it IS a cleaning problem, but not the kind you have tried.

It is a physical problem in the keyboard itself.

You need to go ask the guys at the genius bar about getting it replaced. If you make an appointment, your visit for an evaluation is free, in warranty or out. The repair costs are all fixed price, no surprises. This is what it looks like inside:

User uploaded file

You can see there are no longer any real "switches" inside, or anything that actually makes contact. Pressure from pressing a key pushes the two films closer together and changes the electrical characteristics. The micro-controller scans the lines to determine which key or keys are bing pressed.

Rtyuio keys not working on macbook pro retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.