Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not shut down or restart my MacBook Pro.

I can not shut down or restart my MBP except by pressing the power button. It will go to sleep OK, but not shut down or restart with normal commands.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), external monitor, external drives

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 5:42 PM

Open Users & Group preferences and create a new, temporary admin user account. Restart the computer and log into this new account. Now, try to do a normal shutdown. If you can, then the problem you are having is related to applications or utilities you are loading and/or problems with preference files, log files, or cache files that have become corrupted.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 5:42 PM in response to jtwatson1946

Open Users & Group preferences and create a new, temporary admin user account. Restart the computer and log into this new account. Now, try to do a normal shutdown. If you can, then the problem you are having is related to applications or utilities you are loading and/or problems with preference files, log files, or cache files that have become corrupted.

Sep 1, 2015 12:35 PM in response to jtwatson1946

Well, this is the difficult part. I don't know which takes the less time: transferring files to a new user account or tracking down the culprit. You might start by booting back into your normal account. Open Users & Groups preferences, click on the Login Items tab and remove all the entries. Note down the names of each of the items in that list as you remove them. Restart the computer then try a shutdown. If it shuts down properly then the problem is due to one of the items in the Login Items list. Most likely a third-party item. On the other hand if nothing changes, then Login Items aren't causing the problem. Now, you need to shift to the applications you normally would have running. Open one at a time testing after each to see if one of them is the cause of the problem.

On the other hand you can stay in the new account and transfer only your data files over to the new account. For this to work see: Transferring files from one User Account to another. Do not transfer anything from the /Home/Library/ folder as this likely contains the corrupted file(s).

I can not shut down or restart my MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.