Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my 16 gb iPhone 6 plus only give me 5 gb worth of memory

i just wanted to ask why i only get a little more then 5 gb of memory on my iphone on itunes to see where the memory was being used and im only using 3 gb of memory in photos and videos and 1 gb in music and 1 gb for apps and data and documents and the rest is categorized as "other" now i know as a fact the advertised GB is not the actual storage amount because some of the usage is IOS programming whic usualy take up for 4 gb that's why the amount of usage after the IOS programming the starage amount is 11 gb just like my ipad there is 5 gb unaccounted memory for i searched my iphone up and down for what is using 5 gb that is considered under "other" with no other explanation of the memory usage im tired of consistently having to manage my iphone when i cant even use 10 of the gb i paid 560 bucks for this 16gb iphone 6 plus and i only get to use 5 gb that's a BULL CRAP i got more memory out of my 8 gb IPhone so you can see why im getting mad when i phone with have the advertise memory gets get more then an a 16 gb iphone and both have the same IOS version 8.4.1

mind explaining apple

iOS 8.1.2, null

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 7:43 PM

This much usage in other indicates corrupt files.

A restore should resolve.

2 replies

Aug 31, 2015 9:38 PM in response to roaminggnome

i just got this phone literately a month ago and all of my photos are not backed up via the cloud because i don't want to spend 5 bucks on cloud data even if i wanted to apple keeps asking me for my security questions for every purchase and i set them 6 years ago and i forgot them ive requested to reset them but i never got the email to reset it and its going on 9 months since i requested it the first time and ive been requesting it once a month

why does my 16 gb iPhone 6 plus only give me 5 gb worth of memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.