Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can my own bash script fail FairPlay decryption?

I've made a little .app wrapper for Spyder, an open-source python GUI app. The app bundle is dead simple: an icon, a bash script that I wrote from scratch, and a plist referencing them, organized in the required dir hierarchy. (The bash script is the CFBundleExecutable.)

The wrapper has worked on multiple occasions in the past, though I may not have tried it since updating to 10.10.5 or 10.10.4. Today, however, whenever I try to launch the app, I get a log message from com.apple.xpc.launchd referencing my wrapper's bundle identifier saying "FairPlay decryption failed on binary". What binary?! What encryption?! As far as I'm aware the only binaries ultimately involved are bash and python (installed with homebrew).

The only things that've changed about the bundle since it ran successfully are:

1. I moved it from /Applications to ~/Applications.
  2. I largely rewrote the bash script.
  3. The CFBundleShortVersionString key has been updated by the bash script using PlistBuddy. (It passes validation by plutil.)

Googling the portion of the log entry quoted above has turned up nothing helpful. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Or how I could get launchd to spill more detail (like what binary it's talking about)?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 12:13 AM

1 reply

Sep 1, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Terry_N

This is a wag. Since you assigned your Bash script as the CFBundleExecutable, though it is a script, the system may think, and call it a binary based on that assignment. And then it just goes into the ditch after that with the Fair Play decryption message. Any last minute changes to your Bash or Python script that may be causing this borkation? You are aiming your Python script at the homebrew installed Python instead of the default system Python right? If this is Python 3.4.3, are there any Python 2 to Python 3 syntax issues that may have arisen?

How can my own bash script fail FairPlay decryption?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.