Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music library on external drive with each album in separate folder not accessible by iTunes download in new computer

I cannot access my Music on external drive with my new PC downloaded with iTunes. All my music is in separate folders. I do not have a "library" folder in my external hard drive.

I have iTunes directed to draw from the external disk drive (F) but it does not play music or populate playlist.

I cannot remember how my previous PC was set up to pull and play from external drive.

Help please!

HP Pavilion dv6, Windows 7, 64-bit

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 3:11 AM

Changing the path to the media folder doesn't tell iTunes which iTunes Library.itl file to open, nor does it automatically read all of the media in that folder.

If you no longer have access to your library files then you will need to make a new library. Use the shift-start-iTunes method to create a new library at F:\iTunes, move all of the content inside F:\iTunes \iTunes Media, then add the media folder to the library. See Make a split library portable for background.

If you have any Apple devices see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device. Near the end are a couple of scripts for recovering ratings, play counts and playlists from a device.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2015 3:11 AM in response to RollsRoss

Changing the path to the media folder doesn't tell iTunes which iTunes Library.itl file to open, nor does it automatically read all of the media in that folder.

If you no longer have access to your library files then you will need to make a new library. Use the shift-start-iTunes method to create a new library at F:\iTunes, move all of the content inside F:\iTunes \iTunes Media, then add the media folder to the library. See Make a split library portable for background.

If you have any Apple devices see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device. Near the end are a couple of scripts for recovering ratings, play counts and playlists from a device.

tt2

Music library on external drive with each album in separate folder not accessible by iTunes download in new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.