Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to open pages 5.5.3 document from user of latest version for os x 10.10 with my pages 5.2.2 which is the latest version of pages for OS X 10.9 that I use

I am unable to open a pages 5.5.3 document from a friend who uses the latest version for OS X 10.10 with my pages 5.2.2 which is the latest version of pages for OS X 10.9 that I use.

I get the message "You need newer versions of OS X and Pages to open this document. - Install the latest version of OS X, then download the latest version of Pages from the Mac App Store"

I do not want to upgrade to Yosemite as there are still so many problems and it would mean losing iPhoto for a cut down Photo application.

Is there anyway to open the newer version without having to upgrade my Operating System?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 6:10 PM

4 replies

Sep 2, 2015 11:07 PM in response to VikingOSX

My question was if there was anyway to open the newer version without having to upgrade my pages. I was hoping to find a patch or some sort of work around at my end. I have a work around for my friend's end which is just to have him export it as a Pages 09 file and then I can open it without a problem.

I find it annoying that Apple does not make a patch to allow older versions to access newer version, as if to further pressure people in moving along the path they have deemed best (which is not best in my opinion).

Sep 3, 2015 3:25 PM in response to bigandlittlebear

My question was if there was anyway to open the newer version without having to upgrade my pages.

I explained the only solution available to you, without updating to Yosemite. Yes, the sender could also export to Pages '09. The patch that Apple applied to allow backwards compatibility with Pages v5.2.2 was in Pages v5.5.2 and later — as I have already mentioned.

Apple has not demonstrated any interest in retro-engineering, or pro-active engineering for Pages of any version. You can provide feedback directly to them from the Pages v5.2.2. menu.

Sep 4, 2015 11:15 PM in response to bigandlittlebear

My question was solved by Applefans but he or she removed the solution before I could mark it as the solution.

In short it involved renaming the Vs 5.5.2 file as a zip file, then taking the INDEX folder from the resulting package and using a third party zip program to create a index zip file but selecting "NO Compression" rather than "Normal" in the compression options when saving this back to the package. After this deleting the index folder from the package (as you now have a saved index.zip file there in it's place).

Finally, renaming the folder (which is the full package that was shown as a result of renaming the pages document to a zip file) back to a pages extension.

This all being done, I could open this with my 5.2.2 version of pages.

I don't know what "Applefans" remove his or her solution as it was the perfect solution for me and answered the question perfectly.

Thanks.

unable to open pages 5.5.3 document from user of latest version for os x 10.10 with my pages 5.2.2 which is the latest version of pages for OS X 10.9 that I use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.