Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autocomplete and autoscrolling problems in iTunes

iTunes interface has some very clumsy implementations:

A) Say I want to edit the Artist of a track to a new artist that doesn't yet exist in my library, iTunes won't let me do this if I already have an Artist in my library which begins with the same text string I'm trying to use, regardless of what combination of lower/upper case I'm using. In this example, let's say I want to rename an artist to "RAC" and I already have an artist in my library called "Racey":

1) I type "RAC", immediately it autocompletes to "Racey" but highlights the "ey", in theory allowing me to delete the "ey".

2) If I notice this and delete the selected "ey", I'm left with "Rac". But I want "RAC", as I typed it in the first place. So I type it again and the same thing happens again.

3) If I don't notice the autocomplete suggestion, I type "RAC" and press Enter it accepts the autocomplete suggestion of Racey. If I'm editing a lot of tracks then I might not even see this and then my tracks are permanently mislabelled until I notice them individually.

4) The only way I can get the correct label in is to insert other characters in the middle, eg "RATC" and then delete the "T" afterwards. If I type different characters at the end of the label then I'm back to square one. This means that I have to edit every name twice just to get what I want.

5) The most user-friendly implementation would be to abort the autocomplete suggestion if the delete button has been used AND revert the text back to exactly what was typed before the unwanted text was deleted. So when it changes my "RAC" to "Racey", leaves "ey" highlighted, and I press delete or backspace, it should revert back to "RAC" exactly as I typed it and stop thinking it's smarter than I am!

B) Let's say I've arranged my entire song list in Date Added order, and some of the recently-added tracks don't yet have Artist labels. If I enter an Artist, the selected track suddenly jumps position in the list & I have to scroll around to find it. Sometimes it just scrolls my list so the selected track is at the top of the screen. Why does it have to shift the whole window contents when you're just changing one attribute? It makes absolutely no sense.

Both of these problems have been annoying me for many years and it's amazing that in the many GUI redesigns, they've never been addressed & somehow make it through UX testing every time a new version is released. These are very shoddy implementations and have been highlighted by a number of users in the past, without any response on the forums. It's not only user-unfriendly, it can be an enormous waste of time if you're trying to clean up your library and results in errors. PLEASE fix them!

Windows 8

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 7:48 PM

1 reply

Autocomplete and autoscrolling problems in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.