Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally Visited a Malicious Site. What should I do?

I'm a new user. Just visited a site that was linked to a discussion on Techsmith.com. Virus total showed it to be a malicious site. My computer isn't acting weird or anything. How do I find out if my computer was affected and what do I do if something did happen to the computer?

Yosemite 10.10.5, mid-2012 macbook retina

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 6:50 PM

Virus Total is a worthless scam on the Mac. Uninstall it.

I just visited the Techsmith site. While I didn't see anything wrong with it, I did see anything there that was worthwhile.

I suggest that Virus Total gave you a false alert on that site. Just one more reason to get rid of it.

4 replies

Sep 1, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Thanks Allan, I appreciate the follow-up, and that was fast!

Do you have any other recommendations on antivirus type scanners that are quick like virus-total?

I use their safari extension and it's very easy to just click the "scan this site" button and it runs it through what looks like a bunch of anti-virus databases. I suppose then, that it's very "Sensitive" (picks up on a lot of sites that could even minutely possibly be bad) but not so "Specific" (includes a lot of probably good sites along with the bad)?

Accidentally Visited a Malicious Site. What should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.