Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music app doubles in size when dragged from iOS dock

So I rearranged my iPhone apps and put a folder in the dock called "Listen" which has all my music apps in it.

I noticed when I dragged Music out of the dock and put it in that folder, so I could then drag the folder back into the dock - the space usage at the bottom of the iTunes interface added several gigs of data, putting me far over the available space. I think it was roughly the size of the Music folder, so in effect it doubled the space usage.

On a whim, I hit sync anyway - thinking it was just a glitch - and the result was that all the songs I was syncing failed to sync - not enough space available.

But guess what? I opened music on the phone and there they all were.

But iTunes continues to tell me the phone is over capacity. So I tried turning off "Sync Music" entirely. Then all the Audio disappeared in the space usage graph, and sync worked fine.

Guess what? Music still opens up with all my music on there, from before the Sync.

OK - so now I've got a phantom music library on my phone, and I can no longer change what is on there... unless what, a Factory Reset?

I'd rather just get Music to snap out of it, or iTunes or whatever is the culprit. And stay with the nice changes I made to my App arrangement in that last proper Sync.

Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance...

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 8:32 PM

5 replies

Aug 31, 2015 8:37 PM in response to flick harrison

Ha ha! When I look at Settings -> General -> Usage -> manage storage, Music says it is only using 88.6 MB. And guess what I see when I click Music and see what is taking up that 88.6 Megs -

It's U2 - Songs of Innocence!

Even that glitch can't kill U2's marketing.

"We would never do naff stuff," Bono replied...

http://tinyurl.com/pw8ksbl

Aug 31, 2015 9:22 PM in response to deggie

I think you missed something, maybe I wasn't clear - the music folder took up several gigs of space. When i dragged it out of the dock, the "audio" usage doubled in the iTunes interface - putting me several gigs over capacity on the phone.

Then sync failed, because there wasn't room to copy this double music library. But the music was still on the phone anyway.

So now all my previously-chosen music is on the phone, but I can't edit it in iTunes. And there's a phantom folder taking up several gigs of space.

And yet iOS shows the phone only using 88.6 MB for Music.

Sep 1, 2015 10:41 PM in response to flick harrison

So it seems to have recovered now - not sure what I did, deleted all the music one by one in Sync on iTunes, by unclicking everything and hitting sync.

Finally remembered iExplorer and used it to look through everythingon the disk. then used "Reveal Hidden Files" to make sure that when I looked at ther iPhone via the finder, with the phone mounted as a disk, there wasn't a hidden trash or something with lots of data in it.

I notice there's a "Backup" folder on the iPhone taking up 4.73 Gigs - that seems like a lot for a 32 GB phone. What is it backing up? Isn't the iTunes backup good enough??

User uploaded file

Music app doubles in size when dragged from iOS dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.