Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I set a limit for how much music is sync'ed?

I would like to be able to select a couple of playlists and artists and that sort of thing, and then tell iTunes to randomly pick only 2GB worth of songs from those sources to sync to my iPhone. I know this at least used to be an option in iTunes, but I can't find it now and it's driving me a bit bonkers. Any ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 9:25 PM

1 reply

Sep 2, 2015 2:26 PM in response to MysteryG45

Hi MysteryG45,

I see that you have some questions about syncing a random selection of songs from your iTunes library. The feature you are asking about is called Autofill, and more information about it can be found here:

Fill your device with a random selection of songs using Autofill

If you don’t want to always hear the same music on your device, you can have iTunes fill it with a random selection of songs by using Autofill.

To use Autofill, you must turn off automatic syncing for music and videos (see instructions above).

1. Connect your device to your computer and click the device button near the top left of the iTunes window.

User uploaded file

2. Click On My Device.

User uploaded file

3. Select Music in the sidebar on the left.

User uploaded file

4. Choose which songs you want to sync from the Autofill pop-up menu at the bottom of the Music pane.

User uploaded file

5. To adjust Autofill settings, click Settings.

User uploaded file

6. When you’re done, click OK.

7. Click Autofill, then click Sync.

Each time you use Autofill, iTunes adds different songs to your device.

Sync iPod, iPhone, or iPad - iTunes Help

https://help.apple.com/itunes/mac/12/index.html?localePath=en.lproj#/itns5ecc4d9 8

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

How can I set a limit for how much music is sync'ed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.