Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(47)

iphone 5 16 GB.

As my iphone 5 constantly showed "searching" instead of connecting to the cell phone network and didn't see the SIM card I tried to fix trying many different things. Then I tried to have a full reset, but I couldn't do because I forgot the restriction password.

Then I read somewhere that I could reset it from find my iphone and reset from outside. Then it started to Show lost telephone message.

I couldn't reactivate it directly from the iphone, tried on itunes it failed several times.

It starts installing firmware as it shows on iphone, but then fails with a message saying iphone could not be updated. An unknow error occured (47)

There is no explanation when you search what this error is.

It has not been possible to restore this telephone.

While I was trying to fix a chronic "searching" problem that apple phones can have due software problems, I lost the phone completely.

It look like this is a bug that hasn't been fixed despite all the updates of ios.

Any expert ideas?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 12:50 AM

7 replies

Sep 1, 2015 7:41 PM in response to Emreist

No, it really isn't that common. If you have disabled ALL of your antispyware/antivirus software and opened your firewall and you still get an error 47 it may be a hardware error. First I would try it on a different computer and if that doesn't work make a Genius Bar appointment and have it looked at.

Sep 3, 2015 11:14 PM in response to Emreist

Exact same thing happened to me. "Searching..." in upper left (even when cellular services were turned off). Attempted a restore - gets to "Restoring iPhone Firmware," and then stops with: "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (47)."

The Apple page it directs you to does not list any solutions to or reasons for this error 47. Reading through the blogs, this does seem somewhat common.

Also iPhone 5, iOS 8.4.1

Sep 6, 2015 6:37 PM in response to Emreist

Not sure what error 47 is but there are some steps you can try to get the iPhone to restore for you: Resolve iOS update and restore errors in iTunes - Apple Support

This may help force the iPhone to restore: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Here's some info on possibly getting the iPhone to connect to the cellular network: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415

Hopefully that works. My 5s had a similar issue and those links helped me. If all else fails, call Apple.

(47)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.