Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't connect Airport Extreme to PPPoE

Hi there

Up until yesterday I had an Airport Express to connect to a PPPoE service via a HUAWEI ONT/optic fiber. Because the Airport Express doesn't support 802.11 ac I bought an Airport Extreme and I just can't make it to connect to the same ISP. If I connect my Macbook Pro via Ethernet to the ONT it works just fine. If I use again the Airport Express it works just fine. The Extreme simply refuses to.

Please help

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 11:36 PM

4 replies

Sep 1, 2015 4:25 AM in response to dragosf

Yes, I have the same issue.. PPPOE does not work in later airport routers.. Apple made some firmware changes and it really messes this up.

The Extreme simply cannot be used.. return it for a refund and buy another brand.

You can ring apple support but I honestly doubt they can do anything.. there are some real fundamental issues if you don't use the standard cable modem and even alot of those are having issues.. or more correctly apple routers have issues with them.

You can try a cross over cable or a switch between the AC AE and the ONT if you want to mess around. It can help at times.. if the ethernet light is not coming on.. if it is then the issue is just PPPOE is failing.

Sep 1, 2015 10:29 PM in response to LaPastenague

well, it works now. the problem was that I attempted to set up the network connection on 31 of August and my Internet PPPoE contract was activated on Sept 1st. Despite my attempts to connect yesterday, even if it was Sept 1st, I couldn't. After a reset of the Airport Extreme, I did again a set up of the network and it worked.

I can't connect Airport Extreme to PPPoE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.