Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme in bridge mode

Hi,

I have the following configuration:

- one router from my ISP that has gigabit connection in lan.

- the router is connected to a switch (D-Link DGS-1100-24 gigabit)

- the switch is connected to an Airport Extreme model A1408 (5th generation) that is configured in bridge mode.

- in the Airport are plugged in a Brother MFP that can do only 100Mb and a computer with a gigabit network card.

If both printer and computer are connected to the Airport then the link from Airport to D-Link switch is always 100Mb.

If only the computer is connected to the Airport then the link from Airport to D-Link switch is always 1Gb.

During my tests the D-Link switch informed me what speed was negotiated for that specific port that goes to the Airport.

Why is that? Is this normal?

Thanks

Airport Extreme model A1408-OTHER

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 1:21 AM

1 reply

Sep 1, 2015 4:13 AM in response to adrianfromroswell

It sometimes happens.. We have seen this problem across a number of modems and routers.

There is some issue with the switch chip in the unit reducing the speed for one connection.

Let me check my setup which is similar.

I have a dlink managed gigabit switch.. Apple A1408 plugged into port 09..

And port 11 is a gigaset voip phone base.. old one.. it is only 10mbit half duplex.

User uploaded file

I swapped the gigaset to the Airport Extreme..

No change in the port for the AE.

User uploaded file

Port info from the Airport Extreme is kind of hard to get.

aegen5router# acp PHYS

PHYS=

0: 1000 Mbps Full-Duplex

1: DOWN

2: 10 Mbps Half-Duplex

3: DOWN

Took me ages to find it..(you don't want to know!!)

If you are using the WAN port to plug into the switch or LAN port try swapping them..

If you use 7.6.4 firmware it is truly lousy .. at some things.. try going back to 7.6.1.. factory reset and tell me what happens.

If you have a v5 airport utility you can set the WAN speed.. although maybe not in bridge.

Airport extreme in bridge mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.