Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempting to connect to an 802.11n WPA/WPA2 network yield "Connection Timeout"

I have a Late 2013 13" rMBP (2.8 Ghz i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 10.10.5) and I had been connecting to the same WiFi network st school since I got it at launch. I was working like any other day back in June and suddenly it disconnected (you know, shows signal icon but it's greyed out with no bars). I didn't pay much attention to it as I was off for vacation. Returning in early August the issue continues and now with school head on I need to get this resolved ASAP.

I have read other troubeshooters suggesting power cycling the router, changing the network SSID, and even changing passwords. I will state this up front, I am a student with *NO*!admin privileges where the IT department is near *nonexistent*. None of these suggestions are feasible for my situation!!

Some info on the network; authentication is WPA/WPA2 enterprise. The network is broadcasted at both 2.4 and 5GHz. Also, I used iStumbler on my class iMac and saw the network is on various channels (1,3,5, some other high numbers on 5Ghz). My iPad and iPhone continue working fine and I've already tried on a MBA and have verified my credentials work. In fact I've tried 3 (working/valid) different credentials and I get one of two messages, "Invalid password" (i get this message typically on the first try) when the credentials are fine or more prevalently (95% of the time) , "Connection timeout." I get connection timeout after typing it login credentials and it spins for a couple minutes. When I go into network settings it says it's connection to 802.1X but in the menu bar with the wifi icon the icon shows its each acquiring signal or has no signal (greyed out no bars).!

Please help me as I have exhausted everything I know as a well informed 10 year + veteran (please note I am not a wireless/networking expert).

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Photos for Mac

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 10:53 PM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2015 9:43 AM in response to Rolsanmordua

Take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried, until the problem is resolved. Some of these steps are only possible if you have control over the wireless router.

Step 1

Turn Wi-Fi off and back on.

Step 2

Restart the router and the computer. Many problems are solved that way.

Step 3

Change the name of the wireless network, if applicable, to eliminate any characters other than letters and digits. You do that on your router via its web page, if it's not an Apple device, or via AirPort Utility, if it is an Apple device.

Step 4

Run the Network Diagnostics assistant.

Step 5

In OS X 10.8.4 or later, run Wireless Diagnostics and fix the issues listed in the Summary, if any.

Step 6

Back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Enter the name of your wireless network in the search box. You should have one or more "AirPort network password" items with that name. Make a note of the name and password, then delete all the items. Quit Keychain Access. Turn Wi-Fi off and then back on. Reconnect to the network.

Step 7

You may need to change other settings on the router. See the guidelines linked below:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Potential sources of interference

Step 8

Make a note of all your settings for Wi-Fi in the Network preference pane, then delete the connection from the connection list and recreate it with the same settings. You do this by clicking the plus-sign icon below the connection list, and selecting Wi-Fi as the interface in the sheet that opens. Select Join other network from the Network Name menu, then select your network. Enter the password when prompted and save it in the keychain.

Step 9

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC).

Attempting to connect to an 802.11n WPA/WPA2 network yield "Connection Timeout"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.