Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't monitor audio from Record Enabled tracks

Here's a problem I've been having a lot with Logic X (every version thus far).

I create an Audio Track (let's say it's Audio Track 1 in my project) and select the appropriate inputs for this new track (let's say inputs 3+4 for a stereo track). I have a MIDI Track sending notes to a rack synth connected to inputs 3+4 on my interface. I Record Enable this new Audio Track 1 I've created and hit play. When I do this I can see the audio coming from my rack synth into my interface on the interface's meters, and I can see the audio coming into my new Audio Track 1 because the meters on the mixer channel show me the audio is getting to that Audio Track, but it's not being passed through to the Stereo Output so I can hear it. Is the Output on my Audio Track 1 set to Stereo Output? Yes. Let's say I change Audio Track 1's output to Bus 7 out of curiosity. Still no go. Just like with the Stereo Output, Bus 7's meters stay flat even though Audio Track 1's meters are jumpin'.

So now, out of curiosity, I enable Input Monitoring on my Audio Track 1 - still no audio passing out of the track while the track is playing, but I'm sure I can catch the tail of the audio I should be hearing from Audio Track 1 when I stop the Playhead. It's like something is stopping Audio Track 1 from passing along the audio it's clearly receiving while Logic is playing, but as soon as Logic stops playing that audio can pass through as it should to the track's set output . . . only there isn't much audio to pass when Logic isn't playing. To test this I put a long reverb on Audio Track 1, and sure enough, when I stop the playhead, suddenly audio is let out of Audio Track 1 and I can hear that long reverb tail in all its glory. And for the record I can see no difference in this behaviour whether Audio Track 1 is Soloed or not.

Now I disable the Record Enable on Audio Track 1 - leaving only the Input Monitoring enabled. Suddenly the audio passes from Audio Track 1 to the Stereo Output like it should, and I can hear it, but it's waaay out of sync - enough for a couple of my 16th note bass hits to play before the rest of the tracks start. So I try putting Logic into Low Latency mode - and now the audio from my Audio Track 1 is even more out of sync than before! How much? The entire amount of latency that the rest of the project is playing through.

Out of curiosity I decide to hit Record instead of Play. The audio coming into Audio Track 1 records perfectly in sync with the rest of the project as it should, but it still does not pass to the Stereo Output, (or anywhere else) so I can hear it while it's recording.

Once the audio is recorded, and I have an actual audio region in Audio Track 1, I can play and hear that audio region exactly as you'd expect I should be able to.

I've tried disabling and re-enabling Core Audio, disconnecting and reconnecting to my interface, quitting and restarting Logic . . . watching an hour of football . . . nothing seems to work.

I'm wasting a lot of time because I can't audition my sounds prior to recording them, and I can't just record them without first knowing what they're going to sound like with the rest of the track. I'm getting nothing done and it's killing me.

I've included an image here where I've soloed Audio Track 1. You can clearly see that it is Record Enabled, and that audio is hitting the track, but that there's nothing being passed to the Stereo Output. Another weird item of note that this image captures is that Inst 14 (CR78 Clav) also shows audio in it's meters at this time even though it is not soloed, and that audio is also not being passed onto the Stereo Output.

Any advice super eagerly appreciated.

Cheers,

James

User uploaded file

3.4GHz i7 iMac | 32GB RAM | Yose 10.10.5 | Logic Pro X 10.2

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 10:45 PM

Okay . . . just found the answer thanks to David Nahmani on the Logic Pro Help forums.

Seems with update 10.0.5 or 10.0.6 a feature was introduced called input monitoring only for focused track, and record-enabled tracks. It's in Preferences>Audio>General halfway down. Deselect it . . . No idea how it got selected in the first place.

🙂 Happy now.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2015 10:45 PM in response to w.j.m.

Okay . . . just found the answer thanks to David Nahmani on the Logic Pro Help forums.

Seems with update 10.0.5 or 10.0.6 a feature was introduced called input monitoring only for focused track, and record-enabled tracks. It's in Preferences>Audio>General halfway down. Deselect it . . . No idea how it got selected in the first place.

🙂 Happy now.

Sep 1, 2015 2:34 PM in response to w.j.m.

Actually, NOT solved. If a moderator type person could take the "solved" marker off my first post I'd really appreciate it.

I got up this morning, rebooted the mac, reloaded Logic and my project, and low and behold, the problem is back with or without the Input Monitoring preference selected.

I've discovered a workaround for the time being though.

1. I only enable Input Monitoring on my track

2. I hit "play" (at this point the audio coming into Audio Track 1 can be heard, though it is out of sync)

3. While it's playing I hit the Record Enable button, so now both it and the Input Monitoring button are enabled

When I do step three the track goes silent for an instance as the correct latency is applied and then it come back, audible and in sync with the rest of the project. If I stop Logic from playing and then hit play again it's silent again unless I disable Record Enable before hitting play, and then re-enable Record Enable once the track is already playing and receiving audio from my external device. So I have to do the above steps every time I stop/start my project if I want to be able to monitor the audio coming into the track in sync with the rest of the project.

Sep 1, 2015 10:23 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

It does. Here's a project I just created with only two tracks (one external MIDI and one Audio) and the Stereo Output.

In this shot you can see the very simple setup. I grabbed this while Logic was "playing". The first Track Header shows a MIDI region that is successfully feeding MIDI to my JX10 synth. In the second Track Header you can see the audio coming from the JX10 into the track Audio 1. The third Track Header is the Stereo Output track (I clicked on it in the Mixer and chose Create Track so we could see it in the Arrange Area next to the other two tracks). The blinking Record Enable buttons on the Track Header and in the Inspector blink on and off at opposite times, so it was impossible to grab an image that showed them both on at the same time.

User uploaded file

Sep 1, 2015 10:30 PM in response to w.j.m.

If you use the External Instrument plugin rather than External Midi... to pass Midi and Audio back and forth from your keyboard....... Do you get the same behavior?

To double check.. Here is a simple tutorial....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_L5DUBE3AQ

Note: I cannot recreate this issue here... Works perfectly (and has done so throughout all LPX releases) sending midi to my various external keyboards and receiving Audio back..... so i suspect it might be 'how' you are doing this.... rather than anything else...

Sep 1, 2015 10:42 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Okay, I just tried using an External Instrument Plugin track instead of my old-school separate External MIDI track and Audio Track method and it behaves just like it should in both the uber simple project, and also in a complex, latency heavy project. I can hear it and it's in sync. Bravo!!!

I remember trying out the new External Instrument Plugin tracks when I first upgraded to LPX and there was something about the workflow that didn't jive for me (I can't even remember what it was now) so I went back to the old two track method . . . but for all intents and purposes this is a perfectly fine option for me. I can now go back to making music!

Thanks so much.

I can't monitor audio from Record Enabled tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.