Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two dedicated email accounts with one network user account

Hi altogether,

I use OS X Server 4.x and the mail server.

Now I need to have two dedicated email accounts not two email adresses with one as an alias.

But it is not possible.

I test it:

One mail address is andreas@xx.com, the other is andreas.surname@xy.com from a different network user account

If I login with andreas.surname everything works fine.

If I add the user account with andreas.surname@xy.com as another email account in mail.app with the account "andreas" the mails from "andreas@xy.com" are also shown in andreas.surname@xy.com, but the account need to be empty because it is new.

Strange behavior, I think.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Ishan

OS X Server, null

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 2:14 AM

4 replies

Jan 2, 2017 11:16 AM in response to ishan.Anders

This is indeed a bug that I have confirmed today with Apple Engineering, related to Kerberos Authentication. What we did as a work-around was to change the mail authentication method in Server to exclude Kerberos by using a Custom authentication method and selecting only the MD5 methods:

User uploaded file

Each Open Directory user should then log off and then login to the server.

In each of the mail accounts in the Mail client, change the authentication methods to MD5 Challenge.

This finally allowed us to add multiple IMAP accounts to one mail client, without duplicating the mailboxes when a user is (bound and) logged into the server using Open Directory.

This has been filed as a bug by engineering and should be fixed in an upcoming release.

Peter

Sep 1, 2015 4:35 AM in response to ishan.Anders

If as it sounds you are using Apple's built-in Mail server in Server.app then it normally uses the user accounts you create in Server.app to create matching email accounts and adding additional email addresses for an account in Server.app would result in aliases not separate email accounts - just like you describe.

One option would be to use a different mail server like Kerio Connect, then you can create multiple different email accounts which are not linked to the Open Directory users in Server.app. However another solution is to create an additional Open Directory account, you would then have two Open Directory accounts for this user.

They would only need to login to the computer using the first Open Directory account but you could then add the second email account as a second separate inbox using the second accounts login details.

Sep 1, 2015 5:59 AM in response to John Lockwood

Hi John,

thanks for your hints.

What I quoted is, what I done.

But than I have all emails from account "andreas" also in account "andreas.surname"

I don't no why, but mail.app seems to copy all emails from one account to the separate other.

If I login with the new account the Inbox is empty.

Maybe it is a bug in Mail.app or the Server.app

John Lockwood wrote:

However another solution is to create an additional Open Directory account, you would then have two Open Directory accounts for this user.

They would only need to login to the computer using the first Open Directory account but you could then add the second email account as a second separate inbox using the second accounts login details.

Two dedicated email accounts with one network user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.