Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update unavailable with this apple id

Hi everyone, I purchased my macbook air a few months ago, and since then have been having some problems in the App Store, now i can not update anything anymore. It asks me to write my password twice and after that I keep getting the same message: update unavailable with this apple id.
I don't know what to do from here anymore... 😟

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 2:49 AM

1 reply

Sep 1, 2015 9:11 AM in response to AnaLauraOfficial

Please test after each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Stop when the problem is resolved. Back up all data before making any changes. Keep in mind that no one here represents Apple or can help with customer-service issues.

Step 1

A purchased app can only be updated by signing in to the App Store with the same Apple ID that was originally used to buy it. There's no way around that limitation, which also applies to free apps. If you can't sign in with the buyer's ID, delete the app and reinstall it. You'll have to pay for it again, if applicable.

Step 2

If you get the alert when trying to update a bundled iLife app, select the Purchases page in the App Store and locate the app in your purchase history. If there's a button marked ACCEPT on the right, click it.

If you have a used Mac, the bundled apps were linked to the original owner's Apple ID and can't be transferred to you. Reportedly, customer service has issued redemption codes to some second owners who asked, but it's not guaranteed.

Step 3

If you're trying to update iLife or iWork apps that were installed from a purchased DVD, or if you have a refurbished Mac bought directly from Apple, contact App Store customer service for a redemption code. You may be asked for the part number of the DVD.

Step 4

From the App Store menu bar, select

Store ▹ View My Account

Enter your Apple ID password at the prompt. At the lower right corner of the window that opens, click the Reset button. Close the window.

Step 5

According to a report, the error can result from changing the language setting of your Apple ID account. I can't confirm.

Update unavailable with this apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.