Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a CCD astronomical camera that must attach to the computer via either a full size PCMCIA cards or the narrower Express Card.Can I use either with a new MacBook Pro? Does apple sell this hardware? Thank you.

I have a CCD astronomical camera that must attach to the computer via either a full size PCMCIA cards or the narrower Express Card.Can I use either with a new MacBook Pro? Does apple sell this hardware? Thank you.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 4:11 AM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Sully5225

You would need a Thunderbolt expansion chassis that can accept the required type of card. Be sure to check with the vendor that the particular card you want to use is compatible. Even if it is, you may not be able to find OS X drivers for the device. In that case, you'd have to install Windows, either via Boot Camp or in a virtual machine. That's another set of compatibility hurdles you'll have to clear.

It would almost certainly end up being cheaper and easier to buy an old PC with a built-in serial port and the old version of Windows that this camera was probably designed for.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.