Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting a self assigned ip address error

I just purchased a Arrias SB6141 modem. I have it all set up. Plugged in my Time Capsule and it would not work. Was getting a "Self Assigned IP" Error. I did a hard reset on the TC and created a brand new network. Still getting the same issue. Help?

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 6:32 AM

Power off the modem by pulling the power cable from the back of the device or pulling the power supply from the wall AC jack.

Disconnect the co-ax cable and the Ethernet cable

Leave the modem off for at least 30 minutes. Longer will not hurt.

Power off the Time Capsule and leave it off

After the 30 minute power down.....no cheating.....

Connect the co-ax cable to the modem

Connect the Ethernet cable from the mode to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule

Power up the modem......and let it run by itself for at least 10 minutes. Longer will not hurt.

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run a few minutes

Try the setup again, and report on your results.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2015 6:32 AM in response to Lucas Friz

Power off the modem by pulling the power cable from the back of the device or pulling the power supply from the wall AC jack.

Disconnect the co-ax cable and the Ethernet cable

Leave the modem off for at least 30 minutes. Longer will not hurt.

Power off the Time Capsule and leave it off

After the 30 minute power down.....no cheating.....

Connect the co-ax cable to the modem

Connect the Ethernet cable from the mode to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule

Power up the modem......and let it run by itself for at least 10 minutes. Longer will not hurt.

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run a few minutes

Try the setup again, and report on your results.

Sep 1, 2015 10:19 AM in response to Lucas Friz

We would need to have more information to be able to help.

What is the model number of the AirPort Extreme? If you are not sure, look on the bottom of the AirPort for the model number. It starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

How will the AirPort Extreme extend the Time Capsule network? Will it connect using a wireless connection....or....will you connect the AirPort Extreme to the Time Capsule using a permanent, fixed Ethernet cable connection (highly recommended for best performance).

What operating system are you running on your computer? If you have a Mac and do not know what operating system that it is running, click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click About This Mac and post back with the OS X Version number that you see there.

Sep 1, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Lucas Friz

If you updated the firmware on the AirPort Extreme as newer versions became available, then you should be able to configure the AirPort Extreme to extend the Time Capsule network very easily. If the AirPort Extreme is still using the original firmware, things will not work without a lot of other complicated maneuvers.

Apple will not permit any discussions of any beta products here, so we will provide instructions for the MacBook Pro running Yosemite.

Power on the AirPort Extreme for a few minutes, then hold in the reset button on the back of the device for 9-10 seconds. Release after the hold and allow a full minute for the AirPort Extreme to restart back to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Temporarily, use a short spare Ethernet cable for the setup....any length will do....and connect the cable from one of the three LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the Macs screen, then look for a setting of New AirPort Base Station. Just below that, click directly on AirPort Extreme.

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Extreme, that will get the setup "wizard" running and it will take a minute to display a screen that looks like this, except that your devices will be pictured:

User uploaded file

Type in a short simple name that you want to call the AirPort Extreme, then click Next.

The wizard will set up everything for you automatically. When you see the message of Setup Complete click Done.

Now you can move the AirPort Extreme to the location where it will be needed and make the longer Ethernet cable connection.

Sep 1, 2015 12:36 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok so I got it to work. I tested speed before I added the extreme base station and I was getting 50 to 70mbps down and 10 to 15 up depending on the device. After I set up the extreme base I checked speeds and everyhign was down to 2mbps down and 5mbps up. I disconnected the base station and speeds went back up. Any idea why it would make speeds so slow?

Sep 1, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Lucas Friz

One possibility is old age. The A1143 is at least 7-8 years old, and 5 years at most is about the useful life for most wireless routers designed for the home market.

Another is poor wiring. Temporarily, disconnect the AriPort Extreme from the Ethernet cable and connect your Mac to the Ethernet cable. Run a speed check that way. You should be virtually the same results as if you connect directly to one of the Time Capsule LAN ports.....IF....the wiring has been done correctly and the Ethernet plugs are wired correctly.

If you see a speed drop when you test this way.....then you have wiring problems that will need to be resolved.

Sep 2, 2015 6:05 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

I tested to see if it was the wiring was old or bad. It does not appear that way. I plugged in my iMac via hard wire. Fast speeds worked great. So I plugged the Airport Extreme back in and as soon as I do that It messes up the network. Wireless goes down. Time Capsule asks for a password in Airport utility. Then I get the self assigned ip address again. I then unplugged the Airport Extreme and everything goes back to normal. So my problem must reside with the Extreme base station. Am I sol? Need a new one?

Sep 2, 2015 6:18 AM in response to Lucas Friz

Try the setup on the AirPort Extreme again.

After you perform a hard reset on the Airport Extreme.....make sure that you make the Ethernet connection to the WAN port on the AirPort.....before....you attempt to set it up.

After the first setup screen says that the AirPort Extreme will be set up to extend the Time Capsule network, watch the next screen very carefully. It should change to indicate that the AirPort Extreme is being set up to extend using Ethernet. That indicates that the AirPort is picking up the Ethernet connection correctly.

If you still have the same issue, then the AirPort will need to be replaced. Good luck!

Sep 2, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Lucas Friz

Do not change any settings on the Time Capsule. It is all up to the AirPort Extreme.

The first setup screen should look like the screenshot that has already been posted above and repeated just below:

User uploaded file

Once you enter device name for the AirPort Extreme and click Next.....the next screen must look similar to this.....with the "extend using Ethernet" indication.

User uploaded file

If you don't see "extend using Ethernet", then the cable is bad, or the WAN "O" port on the AirPort may not be working correctly, or the AirPort is simply too old and needs to be replaced.

I keep getting a self assigned ip address error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.