Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I know 'Photos' takes a long time to upload but get this...

Recently I took the plunge and signed up to Apple iCloud space. Now, I know it takes a long time to upload Photos to iCloud but hey, get this:

I have 12,481 pictures, and over the last 6 nights all downloading for say 8-9 hours, I still have 10,387 to go. Doing the maths that is 2097 pics at average say 4Mb per image uploaded over say 48 hours, equating to 8388 Mb uploaded over 172,800 seconds = 0.048 Mb/s. My upload signal is not great but does average 1 Mb/s, which is significantly greater than the indicated performance.

I followed the simple Apple page instructions: in OS X go to System Prefs / iCloud/Options and selected iCloud Photo Library, then went to Photos/Prefs/iCloud and turned on the upload and left it overnight, pausing during the day, resuming at night. My MacBook Pro is a 2012 model, 2.9Ghz i7, and has plenty of storage headroom.

So either I have missed something obvious, or something else is throttling the performance.

In addition I cannot see where the 2097 images have actually gone. Apple indicates 'you can view photos...in OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 ..' ; but upon opening iCloud Drive (the only likely place I can see in Finder that would store such images) there is nothing for Photos, only files stored for Pages. in addition to that, I have invited others to view the images, but they cannot see anything either.

Where have they gone?

Grateful for any assistance on this.

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 4:22 AM

2 replies

Sep 1, 2015 12:07 PM in response to alex hall

Similar experience, except that I had in excess of 38,000 photo files, many of them RAW (meaning that they are a LOT larger than JPG files). I've still got well over 18,000 to go. Planning to go away for several days and just leave that upload process--and nothing else--running on my iMac.

The other issue, related to that, that I experienced: my Time Machine backup appeared to be hanging in "Preparing Backup" mode for an unduly long time. Over an hour. And because I'd set Power Saver mode to power down after one hour of quiet, Time Machine never got through that. It took a bit of problem solving to realize that the Preparing Backup was itself slowed by needing to index (or catalog, or whatever it does) 38,000 NEW files, new to Photos after migrating over from Aperture.

Even the Apple tech support people were stymied for a while, and had no data from other users--though they must be out there--that migrating that number of photo files WILL cause major throughput problems for iCloud and Time Machine

mathetes

I know 'Photos' takes a long time to upload but get this...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.