Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac 2009 won't boot and gets stuck on grey screen

HI

I have a 2009 iMac that has started misbehaving. It was working fine and then the screen flickered and the machine rebooted. It now can't get past the grey apple logo screen and the spinning wheel. The wheel spins for a while and then it either hangs or I get a kernel panic telling me to reboot.

So far I have tried the following and I've read as many apple support docs as I can find:

Booting into safe mode - doesn't work I get a progress bar but then it kernel panics and reboots

Reset the NVRAM - The reset works but nothing changes

Run the AHT - All hardware is fine nothing reporting an issue

Taken it to the Genius Bar - They say it's definitely the HDD.

Replaced the HDD with a Seagate ST1000DX001 - This doesn't show up in the boot manager so I figure it needs formatting first

Tried to boot from my os 10.5.2 disks - the optical drive whirs and spins but nothing happens, still tries to boot from the non-existent HDD and hangs.

I've reseated the RAM - No change

I'm fast running out of ideas, I will try putting the old HDD in a caddy and seeing if I can boot from that to eliminate internal cable failure and I will see if I can get a friend to create a bootable USB drive for me to install from. But I'm at a bit of a loss as to what more I can do.

I got all my data off using single user mode so I dont mind a scorched earth approach to fixing this.

Any and all ideas greatly appreciated!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 7:32 AM

7 replies

Sep 1, 2015 9:25 AM in response to AlanW1980

I think you have a hardware issue. Run AHT in extended mode 2-3 times back to back. You need to run in extended mode because AHT's regular mode will not normally find errors. The reason to run AHT in extended mode 2-3 times back to back is AHT is unreliable and does not always pick up errors after the first or second pass, however if errors are detected they are correct. If you find errors you can take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider (use https://locate.apple.com/country to find one in your area) and they have better diagnostic tools available. If no errors are found, you still should take it in because as mentioned AHT is not totally reliable.

Good luck.

Sep 2, 2015 4:25 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi

repeat extended tests didn't reveal anything.

There's no antivirus, cleaning or 3rd party maintenance. I can't even get it to boot at all so there's no way these can be running. No torrents downloaded at all on the system

I'm at a bit of a loss now, I think it needs to go to a repair shop. I tried everything I could think of yesterday

imac 2009 won't boot and gets stuck on grey screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.