Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Block IP addresses via mail server?

I'm running Yosemite Server 4.1 on 10.10.3. My previous email server was EIMS and while it certainly showed its age, it had some very easy to implement features that I'm totally lost with at this point.

For example, in EIMS Admin I could easily go in and block IP ranges. My clients don't want email from Europe, Asia, Africa, etc., so I would go and block entire A blocks, like 86.0.0.0 to 86.255.255.255. This was a very effective way to block spam. Now I realize that the Server employs its own methods using SpamAssassin, etc., but, I'm wondering if it is possible to block IP addresses from reaching the server? If so, and the instructions aren't too difficult to spell out, I'd appreciate it.

I have to say I'm somewhat appalled by the lack of documentation provided by Apple for this server product. What little documentation either assumes you are a 160 IQ intuitive person or have mad crypto skills. Very frustrating. Simple things like mail forwarding took well over an hour to root out. Also, it's 2015 and there's no webmail client? Equally frustrating. Connecting with an imap account? Haven't a clue, so, my lone Windows 10 user cannot have an account.

Apple, you've made me go from "thinking different" to "thinking diffident".

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 3:57 AM

2 replies

Sep 1, 2015 4:52 AM in response to Mr. Fubar

Many people these days use Kerio Connect rather than Apple's own Mail server module as included in Server.app. Kerio Connect will address all your issues but is not free.

Remember these days most computers on the Internet use dynamic IP addresses - at least home users so blocking IP addresses is not always a complete solution. Kerio can block messages based on other criteria such as sender email address, subject line, etc.

Also, what about people sending email when on holiday? If you simply block all email from say Africa and Asia you might be blocking legitimate email from people when they are on holiday.

I remember EIMS and WebStar which I believe you mentioned in another post.

Block IP addresses via mail server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.