Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone is acting up. telling me the functions verbally. How do I correct?

My iPhone 3 has started acting up a few days ago. It is telling me the functions verbally,

Like "HOME" or "Settings Button. Double click to open" etc.

It's so frustrating because I've just had business cards printed with this number on it for

a project, and now

I can't access the phone properly because it takes so much time to double click everything -

which frequently doesn't double click the first, second, or third time, or more...

I asked my granddaughter for help and she thought there must be some control in the

Settings which of course I've tried to find what might look doable, but of course I can't

slide the screen up in the "Settings" mode to see what is available lower down the screen

as options to try.

My granddaughter suggested finding/opening "Accessibility" in General in the Settings.

But because I can't slide the screen to scroll down I can't access the Accessibility : ( to check

it out. What can I do?

Sounds like it might be a function for the blind, or poor sighted.

At first I thought it was Siri, but it's not Siri, it is a different rather mechanical/utilitarian voice.

iPhone 3G, iOS 3.1.2, Don't know any others

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 5:59 AM

Sounds to me like you have Voice Over ON. If you truly have iOS 3.1 you do not have Siri. You would have to get to Accessibility to turn V.O. off. On a 3G you can get iOS 4.2.1 and I would update to that as well.

6 replies

Sep 1, 2015 11:24 AM in response to elcpu

Thank you, elcpu!! Very much!!

This was a wonderful help! Back to normal now.

Can't figure out how it happened.

When I was comparing with Siri, I was probably thinking of my iPad.

I really didn't know what iPhone version I had, or how to find out quickly,

so I just took a stab at it in case the email/post software gagged if I didn't have

that box "ticked"!

Okay I'll upgrade to 4.2.1, on your recommendation, with fingers crossed and eyes closed.

By that I mean I hope it won't be one of those upgrade disasters when you wish you never did it..

I'll take your word for it!!

Very many thanks !!

JeanAtSA152BJ

Sep 1, 2015 12:27 PM in response to JEANATSA152BJ

Jeanna, it was my pleasure to help.... If you do not feel comfortable updating to 4.2.1 then don't do it. It would be impossible for me to guarantee what would happen. I can just tell you that I have updated my phone every time with no issues but that does not mean that yours will not be the exception. If you are happy with the phone now and the apps you can get with 3.1, then by all means leave it as is. Regarding how it could have happened, it is difficult to predict.... Did some kid play with it? or if not check this article, specially the first option which does not work for me with 8.4.1 but may for you.

https://sites.google.com/site/appleclubfhs/support/advice-and-articles/voiceover -on-off

Cheers.

My iPhone is acting up. telling me the functions verbally. How do I correct?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.