Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i get rid of volume mute off my screen?

Hi,

How do I get rid of volume mute off my ipad mini as it's starting to drive me crazy. I've done soft and hard reset and nothing happens plus now I can't watch or listen to music even when I try and hold the touch screen volume to where I want the volume to be it keeps moving itself down.

Yours faithfully

ZLP

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 7:18 AM

5 replies

Sep 1, 2015 7:25 AM in response to ZLP85UK

ZLP85UK wrote:

Hi,

How do I get rid of volume mute off my ipad mini as it's starting to drive me crazy. I've done soft and hard reset and nothing happens plus now I can't watch or listen to music even when I try and hold the touch screen volume to where I want the volume to be it keeps moving itself down.

Yours faithfully

ZLP

It sounds as if there is a problem with the volume buttons on the side of the device. Do you have it in a case that could be interfering with the buttons? I'm not sure what you are referring to with hard and soft reset, there is only one reset Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and that now has been changed from being called a reset to a forced reset. Since it seems that your are having the issue with down volume, I'm guessing the possible sticky key or damaged key is the down button. With the device turned off, check that button to ensure it is moving, or you can feel it click and you press and release it. If that does not work, for now you could go into Settings and turn off the ability to raise and lower the volume with the side buttons. That should stop it from making the volume go down. Then you would just be able to adjust the volume in the settings area. Then make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store to have the hardware examined.

Sep 1, 2015 7:31 AM in response to ZLP85UK

Are you saying that once you turn the volume down as far as it goes, that the volume mute window never goes away? If so what happens when you move the volume up one click? Does it go away then? If the answer to both is NO, then I would indeed do a Restore as suggested above. Even though this will erase your iPhone, you can bring back all your settings, apps, data, etc. from a backup. Just make sure you do a backup to iTunes before you start (iTunes will do another one anyway but best to have redundancy). I did this myself on my iPhone yesterday with no issues or data/settings loses. Will take you about 30-60 minutes. Good luck.

Sep 2, 2015 11:24 AM in response to ZLP85UK

Thanks for your replys I have reset my ipad back to factory settings again and still pops up and then goes again even with or without the case plus one side of screen don't work unless I rotate it. So I'm thinking of getting it fixed and save up for the air instead of another mini. The soft reset is when you use the power and home button and the hard rest is when you reset through the general settings.

Sep 2, 2015 11:35 AM in response to ZLP85UK

Well, what you describe as a soft reset is a reset. What you describe as a hard reset, depends on what selection you are using in the settings. There is a reset all settings, reset network settings, reset Keyboard Dictionary, Reset Home Screen Layout, and Reset Location and Privacy, all of which do what they say, there is no hard to it.

I still believe it to be a button issue. Did you attempt to turn off the buttons as I stated in my earlier post? Now that you are indicating there is a screen issue, it sounds like there are several issues going on with the device. I believe you are correct that service is necessary.

How do i get rid of volume mute off my screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.