Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I imported my RAW images to I-Photo, was a jpeg image also created? I would like to delete the RAW image to increase storage space

When I imported my RAW images to I-Photo, were these photos duplicated with a jpeg version as well? I would like to delete the RAW image to increase storage on my Mac.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Using I-Cloud and external drive

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 7:47 AM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2015 9:14 AM in response to 1FlaGrl

iPhoto creates a jpeg version for normal viewing and use in slideshows, etc. You can't just delete the RAW original and leave the preview version. iPhoto isn't setup that way.

in the future stop shooing RAW and shoot only in the highest resolution jpegs that camera offers. Those will still be much smaller than a RAW file.

User uploaded file

Sep 2, 2015 7:54 AM in response to 1FlaGrl

RAW format contains more data and is more amenable to subsequent editing and image refinement, but is really only needed if you actually want to do that kind of thing (like if you used to have a darkroom and developed your own film and printed your own pictures). My Panasonic point-and-shoot camera does both RAW and jpeg, though usually I tell it to only save jpeg.

When I imported my RAW images to I-Photo, was a jpeg image also created? I would like to delete the RAW image to increase storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.