Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I login as another user on my macBook pro?

I have recently bought a brand new Apple MacBook Pro and i didn't know how to change the screen so when I shut down my computer and login I don't have just one application to login to; for example I used to have my apple ID and guest user. I turned off guest user and i now want it so i can have an account just for school work. How do i do that?

iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 8:21 AM

That is an unusual reason for creating a second user (i.e., not something I would do) but to add users go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups. You may then need to click the lock in the lower left corner. Users are added via the + sign above the lock or you can click on Guest User in the list to open the screen to turn it back on.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2015 8:21 AM in response to LegoStar181

That is an unusual reason for creating a second user (i.e., not something I would do) but to add users go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups. You may then need to click the lock in the lower left corner. Users are added via the + sign above the lock or you can click on Guest User in the list to open the screen to turn it back on.

Sep 1, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Unfortunately this did not work. I really need this other account so when I shut down my computer and open it again; there is two choices of login. My Apple ID; and my school one. I would not use Guest obviously. I have already created a user called georgeschool. How do I get this as a choice in my login options. I only have my apple id to login to! Thanks, george

Sep 1, 2015 11:54 PM in response to FoxFifth

OK, so I followed your instructions so that I went tinto System Preferences>Users and Groups> and display login window as list of users. On my other account (if i click the lock and make changes to it) apart from my ID account then do I click anything on there? It says that I am an admin on my apple id and on george school. I have clicked on my georgeschool account allow user to administrate this account. Is there anything else I need to tick? and on the login options i have ticked show the sleep, restart and shut down buttons and show fast user switching menu as FULL NAME.

Can you decipher anything out of that information? Thanks, george

How do I login as another user on my macBook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.