Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring after mid-2010 MacBook Pro HDD Crash

My HDD crashed yesterday. Invalid sibling link, and the DiskUtility reported a truly uncountable list of bad nodes. After running "Repair" once, the drive unmounted, and will not mount anymore.

Fortunately, the MacBook was aging, and I rarely use it for day-to-day items. My last TimeMachine backup is from June, but I have made no significant system or file changes since that date. Unfortunately, I do not have a Recovery thumb drive for Mavericks (honestly, it might only be Mountain Lion, I can't log in anymore to check). I did not upgrade to Yosemite because my last OS upgrade caused a measurable decline in performance and a worrying increase in heat output. I do have the Snow Leopard CD that came with the original machine, however. That is the only way I was able to access the Recovery and DiskUtility. It appears my rental house's WiFi is not compatible with the online recovery.

While my first inclination is to go to an Apple Store and get assistance, the last time I went there the Genius just told me to reinstall the OS, rather than addressing the underlying graphics card issue (since fixed at another Apple Store much farther away). I am hesitant to spend $700+ for "expert" assistance if my data is gone no matter what. So, I am going to try it myself. All I want to know is the correct process, and other research is revealing mixed instructions.

Process Guess One

1. Install and format new HDD (probably a hybrid drive, because why not?)
  2. Boot from Snow Leopard CD
  3. Install Snow Leopard
  4. Upgrade OS to Mavericks (via updates and App Store)
  5. Restore TimeMachine backup

Process Guess Two

1. Install and format new HDD (probably a hybrid drive)
  2. Boot from Snow Leopard CD
  3. Restore TimeMachine Backup

Are either of those correct, or am I missing steps in one or both?

One last complication that may mess things up. When I bought the MacBook originally, I had a different email address tied to my AppleID. After having the laptop for maybe a year, I was successfully able to use Apple's website change the email to one that received less spam. There have also been multiple password changes since buying the laptop. While all the apps and music content seems to still be appropriately tied to my current AppleID login credentials, but I have heard horror stories from friends. I cannot tell if I need to dig up some old passwords or login info. If someone could advise me on that point -- in case I end up locked out of my OS X upgrade and apps -- I would appreciate some advice.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Possibly OS X 10.9.x

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 7:02 AM

both variants are correct except don’t do Restore from Time Machine. use Migration Assistant after OS update

about AppleID – you did new AppleID or just add new mail to existing one?

5 replies

Sep 1, 2015 7:34 AM in response to cabakroll

Awesome. Thanks for the reply!

I'll go with the first option, and install everything from the Snow Leopard disk.

As for the AppleID, that is a strange one. I added the new email to it, which changed the login ID. So I think it is still the same. All the content seems to be tied to it still, but it displays a different name ever since the change.

Restoring after mid-2010 MacBook Pro HDD Crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.