Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ear Pod Volume Controls Not Working on MacBook Pro

The controls on my Apple Ear Pods don't work with my MacBook Pro. Play, pause, next, back, and the volume control all don't work. The microphone on my Ear Pods doesn't work either. This has been an ongoing issue and I haven't been able to find any help with this. I remember Apple's headphones working with my computer when I first bought it. Was there a firmware update or operating system that disabled this functionality?

My Ear Pods are functioning. The controls and microphone work perfectly with my iPhone.

The headphone port (audio out) on my Mac is clean and free of lint and debris.

I have a Late 2008 Unibody 15" MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro5,1)

Boot ROM Version:MBP51.007E.B06

SMC Version: 1.41f2

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 9:54 AM

12 replies

Sep 3, 2015 11:07 AM in response to patrickwolbach

Get a load of this! I accidentally dropped my computer while I was putting it in my backpack this morning. 😟 Landed on my hardwood floor in the kitchen. Bent the case a bit. I was able to bend it back. One of my USB ports doesn't work, but I can now control volume and use the mic on my Apple Ear Pods! Figure that one out. Not sure if it was worth sacrificing one of my USB ports though... Thanks for all of your help, cabakroll!

Sep 8, 2015 9:27 PM in response to patrickwolbach

The other day I started having issues with my external mic and volume control not working properly. A Google search uncovered this image showing all of the different parts of the male audio jack:

User uploaded file

Apples Ear Pods have a TRRS (tip, ring, ring, sleeve) pinout with the mic on the sleeve position. The left channel is on the tip, the right channel is on ring, the ground is on the ring, and then the mic is on sleeve. Upon inspection of the audio out jack on my MacBook Pro, I was able to find the pin that would match the sleeve part of the plug. I noticed it was was flattened from constant use so I bent it back down so it would make proper contact with the sleeve part of the male connector. Now it works! You can clearly see the pin (top of jack) in this picture. It's the very first pin, closest to the outside of the hole.

User uploaded file

Ear Pod Volume Controls Not Working on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.