Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime and "appropriate credentials"? HELP!

iMac 10.6.8, using Facetime regularly and successfully. Suddenly, it doesn't work. When I try to sign on with my Apple ID, I get the message "The registering device does not have appropriate credentials". I can't get past that message. I have tried ...

(1) Rebooting

(2) Resetting PRAM

(3) "killall imagent" in Terminal (which stops the Facetime daemon, and I can see in Activity Monitor that it has been stopped)

(4) logging out of Facetime on my other machines

These are all alleged to work. They don't for me. NOTHING works. My Apple login is fine, however (which is how I signed on to this forum!)

Facetime works fine for me on a MBP with Yosemite, which is sitting right next to my iMac. So I'm doing something right.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 8:55 AM

1 reply

Sep 1, 2015 11:44 AM in response to Dannymac22

Wow. Spent an hour on the phone with Apple Support. Tried lots of stuff and nothing worked. Finally, a senior engineer I was handed off to said that his software engineering contacts were telling him they've just started to get other complaints about this. The deal is that OS10.6 Facetime (latest version is 1.0.5) is *entirely different* than subsequent versions of Facetime (latest version is 3.0). So v1.0.5 hits up an entirely different server at Apple. The problem is on that server. So for most of the world, Facetime is working fine, but for those using 1.0.5 (OS 10.6), it is not. It's their problem, not mine. They hope to have a resolution in a few days.

Unfortunately, the apple.com/support/system status page is now reporting that Facetime is working fine. That's because it is reporting on the 3.0 server, which is, in fact, working fine. So that page isn't going to tell us when the 1.0.5 server is working again.

Yet another reason to move to Yosemite. (I was holding on to 10.6.8 to preserve Adobe CS functionality. But I'm just about ready to blow that off.

Facetime and "appropriate credentials"? HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.