Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud changed my .Gif into .JPEG, RUINED MY MEMORIES

Apples iCloud iPhoto has transformed ALL of my .gif into a .jpeg and now they are static images forever. I'm aware that .gifs do not appear so on the camera roll, I'm referring to the actual file extensions being changed. I am so angry and very sad. I can't get some life and family memories back.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 1:02 PM

If something like iCloud was incompatible with what I want and it is I would not be using it and I don't. If I did start use it without research, I would have no one else to blame but myself, but it is normal for Apple customer to complain about someone/something else being a problem. No smart person would use some feature without backup, so surely you created one - time to use it.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Christianimal

If something like iCloud was incompatible with what I want and it is I would not be using it and I don't. If I did start use it without research, I would have no one else to blame but myself, but it is normal for Apple customer to complain about someone/something else being a problem. No smart person would use some feature without backup, so surely you created one - time to use it.

Sep 1, 2015 2:41 PM in response to fromsouth

First:

Second: The files are compatible, I have stored them there since the beginning of iCloud services and pulled them from it on a daily basis since. Today was the day the file extensions changed for no reason and I was attempting to figure out why. I called apple and eventually worked with an "Apple iOS Senior Advisor" to fix this issue. If anyone has this issue in the future, it is fixable! with a call and some time.

<Edited by Host>

Sep 3, 2015 5:53 PM in response to fromsouth

iCloud manages and stores the .gif file formats. Gifs are recognized and exported as a .gif by iCloud even when accessed through iOS/OS versions of iPhoto. Gifs are not playable within the iPhoto software but that does not change their .gif format and when sent or published from iPhoto remain original .gif format and playable. The problem I have experienced recently is a sudden reformat of .gif files stored in iCloud being changed to .jpeg when managing them in iOS and OS iPhoto software, rendering them nonfunctional. This has not always been a problem. Gif files have been useable when pulled from iCloud through iPhoto software for years. I've attached an image of 5 of my .gif files after being sent from iCloud through iPhoto on an iOS device. Here you can see the two most recent .gif files (added to iCloud 14 days ago) still exist without reformat whereas the three older .gif files are now unusable .jpeg files:

User uploaded file

My reformatted files exist in .gif format in iCloud (thankfully), viewable and accessible in that form now only through the physical iCloud website but unfortunately this has disrupted my file viewing and sharing from iPhoto on both iOS and OS versions which I have utilized for work and personal use for years. This was not fixable with an iCloud reset on my devices. I called to receive support on this issue and there was some resolution but still not all files are as they should be.

I hope this clears up confusion and sheds some light for others with a similar problem.

<Edited by Host>

Sep 3, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Christianimal

Unintentionally, I have awarded comments by user FromSouth (most unhelpful person here) the title of "helpful" as well as naming their most unhelpful comment the "Solution" to this issue. This mistake will have to do since it is not reversible and I don't expect to find solutions here.

This thread has been difficult to navigate from a mobile device and If I decide to seek help here in the future i'll have to use a desktop.

Sep 3, 2015 5:57 PM in response to fromsouth

Your reply that I marked correct by mistake is your first very wrong comment, not the later comment submitted where you mention the file on iCloud should be in correct format which still isn't the solution to the problem and if someone visits this thread they can scroll down and see that I renounced the irreversible mistake of claiming you have contributed a solution anywhere here.

iCloud changed my .Gif into .JPEG, RUINED MY MEMORIES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.