Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I get rid of macupdate desktop

How do I get rid of macupdate desktop ?

Looking a lot like adware / malware, especially when MacKeeper keeps on popping up.

Tried the usual ways including dumping in trash and using app cleaner and app zapper.

In both instances I get a message that that macupdate is open and cannot be deleted,

thats after I have shut it down.

Anyone able to help please ????

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 9:32 AM

I've never installed Macupdate, but it's possible their installer also has an uninstaller for removing the app. That would be the best way to remove the program. You may need to re-download the app to see if this is the case.

If there is no uninstaller, launch Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder, type macupdate in the search box, select the macupdate entry(ies) and click on the 'x' top left of the window to quite the process. Now try deleting the app as you tried previously.

Also check that there are no Macupdate items listed in System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login Items. If there are, they can be removed by clicking on the 'minus' button.

If successful, it may be worth finishing off with a restart.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2015 9:32 AM in response to ericfrombisamberg

I've never installed Macupdate, but it's possible their installer also has an uninstaller for removing the app. That would be the best way to remove the program. You may need to re-download the app to see if this is the case.

If there is no uninstaller, launch Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder, type macupdate in the search box, select the macupdate entry(ies) and click on the 'x' top left of the window to quite the process. Now try deleting the app as you tried previously.

Also check that there are no Macupdate items listed in System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login Items. If there are, they can be removed by clicking on the 'minus' button.

If successful, it may be worth finishing off with a restart.

Sep 1, 2015 10:53 AM in response to Paul_31

Thanks for the tips Paul.

Does not show up on Activity Monitor nor in System Prefs.

Just been through the system and deleted all caches, but MacUpdate persists.

Scary part is that when I quit the app I still get the "MU is open and cannot be deleted".

Also a word to the unwary, it only updates paid apps.

Also during updates it produces a dialogue box full of "A"s which looks like it wants serial numbers but

cannot be read. I am VERY unhappy with this software and will now take my iMac to my dealer

who is the expert and let him clean up the problem.

Thanks again.

EM

Jul 2, 2016 8:30 PM in response to ericfrombisamberg

IT WORKED

The reason you can't delete the Macupdate Desktop it stays open and can't be closed. The solution is easy Force Quite Applications in Mac acts like Task Manager in Windows.In Windows you use Ctr, Alt, and Delete keys, here you use the three keys of Command key, Option key, and Esc key together and then kill the job by Relaunch button at the bottom of the page.

how do I get rid of macupdate desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.