Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer not communicating with my Printer

I have a Canon MG 7550 wi-fi printer and a Virgin router which I run my iMac 27" 5K computer wi-fi through but I can't connect the two of them to communicate with each other wi-fi wise?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 10:09 AM

Has the printer ever worked via wifi with your set-up, or did it used to work but now doesn't?

5 replies

Sep 1, 2015 10:49 PM in response to davidfromruncorn

You may have already been down this route, but does the router have a WPS button, and if so, do you know if your printer also supports WPS pairing? If both do, press the WPS button on the router and then on the router navigate through the menus to select the WPS option - does the printer join the network?

If the printer is on the network, have you gone to System Preferences>Printers & Scanners and clicked on the '+' button to add a printer?

If the printer is on the network but you are having trouble adding it, 'Resetting the printing system' can sometimes help resolve problems. The process will delete all printers listed and they will need to be added again:

Mac OS X: How to reset the printing system - Apple Support

Sep 2, 2015 2:51 AM in response to Paul_31

Paul the router doesn't have a WPS button so I couldn't go down that route but you are right on the other account. Now that it is sorted I feel such a fool of the way I went about it. It dawned on me that when I was setting the printer up I was getting it to go on wi-fi but where say I had a smartphone like my Apple iPhone 6 I could send a image straight to my printer wi-fi and it would print it. But doh I wasn't clicking with me that in order for it to communicate with the computer I had to have the printer and input it into the network and tell the computer that the printer needs to be put on the network, which I did and hey ho it worked. Paul thank you very much for your help, much appreciated for helping me with my problem, take care, Dave.

Computer not communicating with my Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.