Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Checking Memory/Installing Yosemite or Omniweb

Alright I got past my last problems and now Lion is installing. The entire issue with the computer started when I installed 2 new memory modules and then tried to update to Omniweb, or so I thought. Later found it I was trying to install Yosemite.

Its been a long and difficult process getting to where I'm at now.

I ended up taking out 1 of the new memory modules and installing the old one. I'm running 3GBs rather then 4. I was running 2. I would like to install the other new module and get to 4GBs as planned originally. Is there a safe way to check the other memory module? I installed the memory and the computer was working fine. It wasn't until I tried to update to Yosemite.

It was suggested to remove the memory and put back in the old to see if that would help with the issues I was having. Now that things are progressing slowly and I'm running Time Machine, I would eventually like to get back to 4GBs.

The other thing I'm wondering is installing Yosemite again or Omniweb. What step needs to be taken after installing Lion? Can I jump ahead and skip Mountain Lion and Mavericks etc? I don't want to miss anything or screw something up. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Or Links to pages I can find information I am thank-full to all of you who have helped me get to where I'm at now. When I was told to go see Apple and I somehow managed to keep plugging away and get past the almost impossible problems for my knowledge. All of it was because of all the people on here that took the time to help.

Thanks Again

Tamara

iMac, iOS 8.4.1, Mac early 2008 desktop

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 10:14 AM

2 replies

Sep 1, 2015 10:32 AM in response to Bunsnbutters

4gb of RAM would be much better than 3gb. In fact, I believe it is recommended that RAM module should be installed in pairs.

Once you have got Lion installed and you have a full Time Machine backup try putting back the last module to see how it works. Macs can be very fussy with RAM and it's always best to purchase from one of the companies that guarantees their chips will work. Macsales and Crucial are regularly recommended as reliable and trusted suppliers. If the RAM you've bought doesn't work, and you bought it elsewhere, consider getting a refund and buying from one of these two companies:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

http://www.crucial.com

You can jump directly from Lion to Yosemite providing your Mac meets the specs: http://macs.about.com/od/OS-X-Yosemite/fl/OS-X-Yosemite-Minimum-Requirements.htm

If do choose to upgrade 4gb RAM may only be just enough for your Mac to work optimally.

Also, be aware that some apps you may rely will no longer work in Yosemite. Here's a fairly comprehensive, although not exhaustive, list of compatibilty:

http://roaringapps.com/apps

Sep 1, 2015 10:53 AM in response to Bunsnbutters

Tamara,

You 2008 iMac can accommodate 6GB of RAM. Because iMacs are extremely sensitive to quality RAM, most experienced users on these forusm only recommend using Crucial or OWC (www.macsales.com) RAM. If you purchase anything else, consider returning it.

In order to run Yosemite on your 2008, you will need a minimum of 4GB of RAM, however for a 2008 I'd recommend expanding to 6GB.

RAM related issues are caused by 3 things:

• Unseated RAM
  • Failed RAM
  • Incorrect RAM

The best tests are trial and error, the automated tests I have seen to date have not produced completely reliable results.

Your statement of installing either Yosemite or Omniweb does not make much sense. Yosemite is an operating system, the latest available for OS X. Omniweb is a web browser. Comparing Safari, Chrome, FireFox etc to Omniweb would make more sense.

Checking Memory/Installing Yosemite or Omniweb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.