Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Printer / Scanner with NO Internet Connection (HP 7640 or Scansnap ix500)

Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum, I did not see one for printer questions.

I would like to scan documents to, and print documents from my mid-2014 Macbook Pro 15" Retina, running the latest OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, WITHOUT needing an internet connection (or wifi.)

Can I hook a newer HP (like the HP Envy 7640 e all-in-one,) directly up to my macbook via an Ethernet, USB port or some other port/chord/line, and do all printing and scanning back and forth that way? I'm headed to a spot with no internet (and no wifi) and am having trouble finding an answer before buying this printer! I didn't realize Apple had some compatibility and use issues with some models of printers/scanners until just now.

I'd also like to buy a Scansnap ix500 and do the same thing (no internet connection.)

I will have internet connection DURING THE SET UP ONLY, so I can download the latest drivers, versions of software and make sure everything is working before leaving for a non-wifi/internet zone.

I could also buy a little hootoo portable router (or any router!) if anyone can confirm that this would assist in hooking the devices together for scan/print operations by setting up a local wifi network. I've never done that before (without internet) but I'm happy to buy whatever if it will work. We have plenty of electricity. Would setting up a localized network with no internet connection be the way to go?! We could also buy an Apple Airport Time Capsule which might solve several issues and provide a local backup -- what do you think is the best set up?

Summary of questions:

1) Can I hook up the HP 7640 printer/scanner with a wired connection to my macbook pro (using ANY port or adapter.)

2) Can I or should I set up a local wi-fi network using an Apple Airport Time Capsule, to facilitate any

3) Internet will only be available during a brief set up period (so devices/software can be updated.) All devices will be moved afterwards to an internet free area and need to be able to scan and print to/with the macbook pro.

4) Specific item purchase suggestions are welcome. (Scansnap ix500 and HP 7640 printers/scanners are being considered. Airport Time Capsule?)

Thank you for any assistance or suggestions you can provide!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 12:32 PM

There are no replies.

Using a Printer / Scanner with NO Internet Connection (HP 7640 or Scansnap ix500)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.