Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting/Uploading Cannon camera onto Mac 10.6.8

I have an 8 year old Mac. OS 10.6.8.

I bought a new Cannon Powershot camera. There is no compatible software. I cannot upload my photos onto my Mac.

What are my options?

Is there an apple memory card reader I could buy? Last time I updated my OS (in the shop) all of my office software was deleted and I am not sure i can update this model.

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 6:16 PM

SanDisk, and numerous multifunction printers support 10.6.8 with built-in camera card readers that support the camera card in your camera on 10.6.8.

As for upgrading past 10.6.8, you'll need to read this tip on compatibility, which also includes links to multifunction printers that support 10.6.9 through 10.10:

http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6271

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2015 6:16 PM in response to Christine7711

SanDisk, and numerous multifunction printers support 10.6.8 with built-in camera card readers that support the camera card in your camera on 10.6.8.

As for upgrading past 10.6.8, you'll need to read this tip on compatibility, which also includes links to multifunction printers that support 10.6.9 through 10.10:

http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6271

Sep 2, 2015 6:23 AM in response to Christine7711

You may find an older version of Canon's Image Browser works with your camera. See if you can download a version for an older model camera from Canon's web site. I use a truly old version with my OSX 10.4 and it would not download the .mp4 format files off a new Powershot, but you have a newer computer so a 10.6 version may. If not you can always use Image Capture (not Browser) in your applications folder to download files from pretty much any camera (including those on iPhones and iPads). Finally, as already suggested, you may just want to use a SD card reader. I usually use Image Browser because it timestamps my file names and it will see a SD card in a reader as a camera card. If you use only a reader you copy files on and off just like any other flash drive. I have one of these multi-size card readers. Just make sure you use a newer one that works with SDHC cards too. I have an older one too I used to use and although I could insert the SDHC card it would not read it.

Connecting/Uploading Cannon camera onto Mac 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.