Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New SSD not working

Hi,

I purchased a OWC SSD for my 13" Macbook Pro mid 2010, and followed what I thought were all of the actions prior to installing the new SSD. However, I am unable to boot-up the Mac with the new SSD, which I believe is due to me not formatting the SSD prior to installation. I did take a full backup to an external drive, but I cannot boot the Mac, and keep getting a ? on the grey screen. I have tried to boot in recovery mode cmd+R, but that doesn't work; is my only solution to rreinstall the hard drive, and format the SSD from Disk Utility, or is there a better way to resolve this problem.

Thanks for help.

N

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 11:29 AM

7 replies

Sep 15, 2015 4:22 AM in response to NozzaL

If the original HDD is functional with an OSX and will boot the MBP, install it in place of the SSD.

Connect the SSD to the MBP via USB

Boot the MBP and open Disk Utility. Select the SSD and format it to Mac Os Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility>Erase.

Then open Disk Utility>Restore and select the HDD as the SOURCE and the SSD as the DESTINATION. Click on RESTORE.

Depending upon how much data you have, this may take a lot of time.

When finished, boot the MBP with the OPTION key and select the SSD. If it will boot the MBP, swap it for the HDD.

Ciao.

New SSD not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.