Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is freeing up disc space so complicated?

I have my "Optimize IPhone Storage" checked on my Iphone 5 but still have 2.4 GB of photos and videos and have no more disc space. I have uploaded my photos to Iphoto, I'm using Carousel on Dropbox and all my pics are on ICloud. How do I delete photos without also deleting them all from icloud? Has anyone used other photo storage sites like dropbox? The Optimize Storage button isn't optimizing my disc space at all. Please help!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 11:30 AM

2 replies

Sep 1, 2015 11:50 AM in response to rubyfromaustin

If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. All of your original, full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud while device-size versions are kept on your device. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

Why is freeing up disc space so complicated?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.