Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot add music to my iPhone 5s.

The iPhone summary options does not show the option to "manually manage music and videos" only "manually manage videos". I also tried to to press the three dots on different tracks and tried to add them to the device (Add to>Iphone). When doing so it says it's syncing and nothing happens. Also tried to select tracks and drag them onto the device then window pops out saying "Some of the files were not copied to the iPhone because iCloud Music Library is enabled on this iPhone." How does one switch that off and does that help?

Thanks guys

Arnas

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 2:35 PM

8 replies

Sep 1, 2015 6:46 PM in response to arnasf

I'm going to assume you have Apple Music activated. If I am wrong, let me know. I believe how you add music is you search the song, album, or artist using the search icon at the top right of the screen. You search the song, and click the "..." on the right side of the song. There should be an "Add to music" button. After adding it, go to the song under "My Music". Click the "..." on the right hand side of it. Then select "Make available offline". This will download the song.

NOTE: I'm not sure if you know this, but you now use the Music app to download music, not the iTunes app(you might be able to do it via itunes, but the way I just told you how to add music is done via the Music app.

Sep 2, 2015 4:17 AM in response to arnasf

Manually adding music is sightly more complicated, and requires you to have iTunes installed on your PC or Mac. After you have installed iTunes on your computer(unless you already have) sign in using your Apple ID. Then...

Open iTunes on your computer.

Connect your phone to your computer via the USB cable it comes with.

Wait for your phone to sync to your computer. This shouldn't take long.

Then, you will have to find the music you would like to install on your device on the internet and download it. It must be in either .mp3 or .m4a format.

Navigate to your iPhone in iTunes(on your computer). There should be options for iBooks, Videos, Music, etc under it. Select music.

After selecting music your music library will be displayed. Drag the .mp3 file(or .m4a) you downloaded into your music library. Wait for your iPhone to sync.

Done! I understand that is a bit complicated, and if you have questions then i'll answer them.

Sep 2, 2015 4:19 AM in response to Bobokins12

Oh...two things I forgot to mention.

1) iTunes HAS to be open on your computer when you plug you iPhone in if you want it to sync.

2) I have not tried this process with Apple Music. However, if you can't get it to work with Apple Music, you can always just disable iMusic and turn it back on when your done.

To disable iMusic...

Settings > Music > Toggle "Show Apple Music" off.

Sep 2, 2015 4:47 AM in response to elcpu

Wowzers. So what I did was (thanks to elcpu's link). I switched on the the Icloud music library on my itunes but then it still didn't add any music to my device (checked or unchecked). So I switched off the iCloud music library on my iPhone, that removed all the apple music from my device, and then I was able to add music from my mac. after doing so, I swithced the iCloud music Library (on my phone) back on and chose "merge" music. So I can now happily use the apple music and my own music. That was sort of difficult and annoying though. Thanks for Your help!

I cannot add music to my iPhone 5s.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.