Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after moving photos to an external drive and deleting photos on the hard drive my available hard drive space hasn't changed.. help

i am new to apple and a macbook pro, this weekend i took a lot of photos and imported them to the macbook and as I was running out of space I moved them to an external drive and then deleted them from the laptop, emptied the trash and I still only have 7gb of available space on the drive which is the same as before I deleted them... any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 1:06 PM

Were the photos in an app like iPhoto?

iPhoto has its own Trash and Photos has a recently deleted section that hangs on to deleted photos for a time prriod

4 replies

Sep 1, 2015 3:14 PM in response to lllaass

Although I had been using the "about this mac/storage" to see what/where the files were, it has now caught up with itself and has deleted all the "recently deleted files! so now I have 60+gb free again thank you for your help this has sorted the issue.

Still learning all the time with it... Still glad I didn't go back down the windoze route 🙂

going to now move some go pro footage across to the external drive now and free up some more space

thanks again

after moving photos to an external drive and deleting photos on the hard drive my available hard drive space hasn't changed.. help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.