Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 2010 battery and magsafe charger

Hello All,

I have a 2010 macbook pro and the battery life is starting to slowly wear down. It's gone from 7 hours life without charge to around 3 hours maximum 4 on standby with some usage. Sometimes I think with heavy use I get 2 hours maximum on low brightness.

How much does it cost for a new battery through apple or does anyone have any other suggestions.

My magsafe charge has also started playing up, does anyone know how to fix it. It appears at the magnet end I have to wiggle the wire to get it too work. Not really sure why it's playing up as I've really looked after it.

Finally I've been told that it's pointless upgrading or doing anything to my macbook pro as next year 2015 I will no longer be able to update it or use the next operating system past Yosemite. Has anyone heard this as I've checked my spec and TBF it's not far off the 2012-13 models. It has run all the other operating systems with ease and shows no signs of slowing down. It's probably just as fast as it was when I first got it.

I put an SSD hard drive in it and also increased the memory to 8GB so it's pretty much running super fast still. Anyone heard about this info?

Thanks

Mark

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 12:46 PM

This is the current replacement price list:

User uploaded file

Magsafe chargers should be replaced. They cannot be repaired. OWC has chargers and Apple compatible batteries at a modest discount.

Your sources for the next update are wrong. A 2010 MBP should be able to run El Capitan.

Ciao.

4 replies

Sep 1, 2015 3:50 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

How much does [UK] battery replacement cost?

Battery replacement prices are based on your region:

Model Apple Repair Price
11-inch/13-inch MacBook Air,
13-inch/15-inch MacBook Pro
£99 inc. VAT
17-inch MacBook Pro £139 inc. VAT

12-inch MacBook,
13-inch/15-inch
MacBook Pro with Retina display

£159 inc. VAT

Prices are for service through Apple. Battery replacement service may also be available at your local Apple Authorised Service Provider (prices may vary). See Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions for further details on service provided by Apple.

That page has a selector at the top so that you can see a few more areas, including UK, here:

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

Macbook 2010 battery and magsafe charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.