Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard disk gone

So i had left my mac on and went away and did something else for long enough that my went to sleep, when i came to it again i tried to get into the computer to get on it again, how ever the screen went black with the mouse pointer. The mac stayed like this for ages (5-10 minutes) so i decided to hold the 'on' button so i could manually restart it, after turning it back on again it went onto the disk untility and didnt actually say it, but the Hard disk was gone, i have backups from timemachine and another external hard drive but cant boot up from the hard disk. Just comes up with 'disk 2' and that disk is ok but i dont know what it is. I have tried turning off and back on again of course and nothing has changed apart from i have gotten a little more confused. The mac did feel very hot, but couldnt smell burning of wire or plastic or anything, also i hadnt moved it at all when the innocent happened or before.

Help much appreciated.

cheers

Robin

P.S. Apple mac mid 2007 Running: (very slow) OS X.Latest from today (1st september 2015)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Hard disk

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 1:20 PM

2 replies

Sep 1, 2015 1:26 PM in response to manofmanytallets

When posting please be specific what version of OS X is installed. My guess is you have Yosemite V10.10.5 installed but you didn't indicate that.

Attempt to restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R) select Disk Utility and then run Repair Disk. If the computer will not boot into the Recovery Partition or the HD cannot be 100% repaired after running Repair Disk 2-3 times, the HD is damaged and must be replaced.

Hard disk gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.