Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 24 inch IMAC shuts down for no apparent reason.

I have an IMAC 24 inch. It is perhaps a 2011 model. It has shut down for no apparent reason. I recently installed Norton's Ant-virus and wonder if that would be causing the computer to shut down.

Kathy

iPod touch, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 1:09 PM

4 replies

Sep 1, 2015 1:22 PM in response to kathy n

Please uninstall all antivirus software installed per the developers instructions. If you use any cleaning, or other third party maintenance utiltiies please uninstall those as well and your iMac should return to normal function. OS X does not need any of these apps as it is extremely secure. There are no viruses for OS X however there is a small amount of malware which is easily avoided by:

• Do not use a torrent to download software.
  • Keep OS X up-to-date
  • If you receive an ad, pop-up, e-mail or phone call advising your mac has been compromised, this is a SCAM!

Also, if your iMac is a 2011 model the display size is either 21.5" or 27", 24" iMacs were discontinued in mid 2009.

Finally when posting, please advise what version of OS X is installed. IOS is for IOS devices such as iPods, iPhones, & iPads. Macs use OS X.

Sep 1, 2015 1:34 PM in response to kathy n

Kathy ...

Better to remove Norton.

Follow the instructions here > Uninstall your Norton product using Norton Removal Tool

If your Mac is running v10.7 Lion or later, to avoid malware, make sure Gatekeeper is enabled.

Make sure Mac App Store and identified developers is selected. If that area is grayed out, click the padlock icon to proceed.

OS X: About Gatekeeper

If you aren't sure which OS X is installed on your Mac, click your Apple  top left in your screen. F

From the drop down menu click: About This Mac

The version is noted here.

My 24 inch IMAC shuts down for no apparent reason.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.