Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto deleted photos in event without me

Iphoto, How to restore photos in events? I highlighted a set of albums and said now book. iphoto only took pictures from the first album. It also deleted all the pictures in the sub albums and in events. How do I get these back? (I have backup but am very upset.)

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 2:29 PM

7 replies

Sep 1, 2015 3:07 PM in response to celts33333

The only sure fire way to get them back is to restore your backup copy of the iPhoto Library that was made just prior to this occurring. You do have a backup plan enabled, right?

You must have selected some other option in the File menu because there's no way iPhoto can delete albums without the user specifically giving permission to do so. Did you possible merge them into a single album? Also albums can not have sub albums in them. They can only contain photos.

Now folders can contain albums and subfolders.

User uploaded file

Sep 2, 2015 5:35 PM in response to Yer_Man

It is iphoto. Have not yet tried photo. I did not confuse albums and events. I try not to play with event so I don't loose any pictures. I highlighted an album that had several sub 'layers'. Each 'layer' was an event and each layer had multiple pictures. I then moved them to a book. I noticed the book lost all the other pictures I had (Already spent hours getting them looking good and in the book.) and it only contained the pictures in the first 'layer'. When I went back to the album, all but the first 'layer' had deleted all the photos. I then looked at the events to get them back and iphoto deleted all the events except the first 'layer' worth. They are not in the trash either. They have vanished and I did not tell it to. All I did was highlight the album and drag it to the album I wanted them in. I have a back up and will attempt to get the pictures back. I can say that iphoto is no longer my 'go to' for photos and will be archiving the rest.

Sep 11, 2015 6:15 AM in response to celts33333

I have no idea what you mean by layers. An album can only contain photos. They can come from any number of events but only photos will be in an album.

A folder on the other hand can have multiple albums in it as well as other folders.

User uploaded file

Is this anything what you're referring to as "layers"?

At this stage I suggest you restore you iPhoto library from the backup created just before you tried dragging the photos to the book.

Next time duplicate the book by Control (right) - clicking on the book and selecting Duplicate from the contextual menu.

User uploaded file

Then if something goes awry just delete the messed up copy, make another and try again.

Sep 11, 2015 6:23 AM in response to Old Toad

Yes. By way of your example, I highlighted subfolder, sidewalk and truck art, and test SS and dragged it to an existing album. It erased all existing pictures in the album, and all the pictures in the folders AND events under sidewalk and truck art and test SS and left only the pictures in subfolder in the folders, events and album. 1 drag and I lost hundreds of pictures.

I like your duplicate suggestion and will use it in the future but I doubt it would have helped in this case.

Next step, get the backup out and reinstall the pictures.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

iphoto deleted photos in event without me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.