Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse not tracking properly

Only within the last few days, I noticed that my Magic Mouse was not tracking properly. If I move the mouse up and down the entire length of my mouse pad, the cursor moves only about an inch or two on the screen. I have changed the tracking speed from slowest to fastest; I have turned off the mouse and the bluetooth inn very possible combination; I have changed to fresh batteries (even though System Preferences says 88% battery life). It works better going horizontally, but vertically, it just doesn't track right. My MacBook Air's trackpad works fine.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 2:25 PM

6 replies

Sep 2, 2015 12:32 AM in response to dhartz61

Firstly, it is a Magic mouse that has the problem and not a Mighty mouse, its' earlier model. I ask because many people confuse the two.

If your profile is correct (10.10.2) update your OS to 10.10.5, reset the NVRAM, and try again.

Have you changed or removed your mouse mat or are you running it across a reflective surface? The latter may confuse the optics. Have you recently introduced to the room anything electronic? And lastly, are you, or anyone else using another mouse within 5 Metres or so?

May 16, 2016 2:18 PM in response to dhartz61

Same problem. Mouse has worked fine for several years and started acting up. Did all the recommended fixes, by accident tested it on another machine with similar results to verify it wasn't a software issue. Put in on my dark wood desktop and it worked perfectly, tried it on both a glossy black binder cover and a glossy white binder cover with a color printed page underneath the plastic slip cover of the white one, same perfect results. Makes no sense given it use to work on any surface.

I would really like to know why this problem raises its ugly head after several years of excellent service. Especially since there are no moving parts in this thing. You would think it would last forever....but then Apple couldn't sell us new stuff and pad their pockets....

I am now using my magic mouse with no problems--works like new--but have to use glossy surface....

Magic Mouse not tracking properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.