Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old base station for my iBook wifi?

Hello, I have a 300Mhz iBook Clamshell that I'd like to get my wifi working with again. Because my wifi has WPA2 security I am not able to connect to it through my iBook. Instead of changing my router to WEP security, would it be possible to connect an old base station from the time the iBooks were introduced to my modern router and connect to wifi that way? I'm sure I could find an old Apple base station on eBay I'm just curious if this would work or would it be a waste of money? Thank you!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 5:59 PM

1 reply

Sep 1, 2015 9:56 PM in response to Don330

It would of course be possible to use an older base station (set to WEP, if that is what the iBook can work with) wired directly to the Internet (or perhaps in some kind of wired arrangement in combination with the WPA2 router). However, it would still mean that the WEP link is the weakest, and that an intruder may be able to break the security between the iBook and the old base station.

An alternative solution, with direct wireless access to your existing router, could possibly be a wireless Ethernet bridge connected to the Ethernet port of the iBook. A wireless Ethernet bridge does not require special drivers, and can thus be used under almost any operating system. Modern wireless Ethernet bridge devices (Netgear WNCE2001 and Linksys WET610N are merely two examples) offer WPA2 security.

Old base station for my iBook wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.