Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Yosemite Server failover

Hi all,

I have an OS X Server 10.10.5 running OD, Calendar, Contact and Time Machine services (perhaps more later). I can find plenty of documentation on how to set up an OD Replica but how do I configure another OS X server to be a complete clone/backup in case the first server goes down? The second server will be hosted in another state and I need it to take over the calendar and contact services primarily.

Is there any documentation or guides available on how to do this?

Any help appreciated.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 12-Core 3.06, 64GB RAM, SSD & 14TB

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 6:16 PM

6 replies

Sep 2, 2015 3:07 AM in response to jayv.

Sadly Apple have killed off most of the (few) failover features they used to offer. OD is about all that specifically still has such capability.

You can probably setup a similar feature for Time Machine by having two Time Machine servers. Yosemite added the ability to add multiple Time Machine destinations so you simply add both Time Machine servers to each client as a destination.

For Contacts and Calendar (and presumably email) you need to look elsewhere. MS Exchange is an obvious possibility but most cloud based solutions including Google Gmail are also possibilities.

Sep 2, 2015 9:56 PM in response to John Lockwood

Wow! I had a feeling as I was unable to find any useful info out there. This makes OS X server suitable for home use only, no business would (should) run a server without a mirror that can take over. Anyone aware of any third party utilities that could help me accomplish creating a failover?

My biggest issue is all the clients enrolled through profile manager have settings pushed to their devices connecting them to the server. If the server fails how do I push new settings to all those clients, pointing them to the new server, if I can not access profile manager anymore?

Thanks for your help.

Sep 3, 2015 1:55 AM in response to jayv.

If you have a backup then when the live Profile Manager fails you can restore the backup to a spare Mac mini. If you restore the backup then it will be identical to the original including IP addresses, names, certificates, etc. and the clients will not notice the difference.

Another approach that some people have have used is as follows.

• Boot one Mac mini in Target Disk Mode
  • Connect it to a second Mac mini
  • Boot the second Mac mini as normal but ideally from Internet Recover or an external drive
  • Setup the hard disks of both Mac minis as a RAID1 mirror using Disk Utility
  • Install OS X and Server.app on to the RAID you have just created

Only one of the Mac minis will be actually 'running' the other acts as a glorified external hard disk, if the live Mac mini fails all you need to do is disconnect it and reboot the other Mac mini as normal instead of in Target Disk Mode.

Finally, for Profile Manager i.e. an MDM solution, there are lots of third-party products that can performa the same function and most of them have proper failover capabilities. For example Meraki Systems Manager.

OS X Yosemite Server failover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.