Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Way To Sync/Connect 2 iMacs

I work for a company and am looking for advise on switching iMacs from the office to my bosses house & keeping things in sync.

We currently have 2 iMac's in our office, an early 2009 & a late 2012, both are running Mavericks.

The main one, the 2012 is where we have all of their personal and business files (dating back to 2007), the 2009 we are using to scan in all old records to keep so we can go paperless, so besides basic email & web browsing all thats on it are the records.

We are going to purchase a new iMac for the office, and keep the 2009 in the office for the paperless records. The 2012 will be going to their house.

I would like to figure out the best way to move everything to new iMac & remove some of our personal stuff on there to be on the 2012. From our house, I would like them to be able to have access to all the files on the office new iMac but not have it all clutter the 2012 with old junk. I also don't want files that I keep on the new office iMac to be able to permanently changed as they are not technically savvy and might mess things up.

Any suggestions?

-I'd prefer not to use a sync drive, like dropbox, as the total storage of the computer is over 600 GB and I don't want to have to put everything into a sync folder.

-I'd like to set this up myself, rather than having the Apple Store do it. I'm not sure the best way to do it.

-I'd like to be able to somehow limit editing of certain files with the personal (2012) iMac so that my office files aren't changed accidentally.

-I have time machine set on the current 2012 iMac in addition to having a dual hard drive for backups. I also just started using iDrive which has backed up both current computers into one online account.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 1, 2015 5:10 PM

There are no replies.

Best Way To Sync/Connect 2 iMacs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.